• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 BIOS update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the move. When this thread was revived and elgroz mentioned F20 as the current BIOS I checked the Giga download page and that's where I found the info. But, I have no idea why Asus would make it a policy, either. I do know I have no intention of flashing my board with F20.

They did the same with X99 when releasing BIOS for Broadwell. With Giga it flashes both BIOS chips so that both are able to run the new CPUs and no you are not able to flash back without a few hoops and some programming in DOS

With ASUS it's just a matter of which motherboard. Higher end ones have no issue flashing back and most all of them will let you flash the original BIOS ( from support CD) back. Then you can move ahead to any BIOS you wish. Believe me I do enough of it. ASUS also has the USB Flashback port on many boards and will take any BIOS that's labelled correctly

They did the same with X99 when releasing BIOS for Broadwell. With Giga it flashes both BIOS chips so that both are able to run the new CPUs and no you are not able to flash back without a few hoops and some programming in DOS

With ASUS it's just a matter of which motherboard. Higher end ones have no issue flashing back and most all of them will let you flash the original BIOS ( from support CD) back. Then you can move ahead to any BIOS you wish. Believe me I do enough of it. ASUS also has the USB Flashback port on many boards and will take any BIOS that's labelled correctly

Ah! Funny you should mention that as I finally got a reply from Asus tech support yesterday on this issue and they mentioned using the CD that shipped with the motherboard to do this. Haven't tried it yet and not sure I will do it but aligns with what you're saying. I kind of didn't take what he said seriously as it didn't make sense that it would be any different with different media.

Back