• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GlobalWin FOP38

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clemson Physics Geek

Registered
I just got a GlobalWin FOP38, and a little bit of artic silver thermal grease. Should I remove the little heat pad that's on the bottom of the heatsink since I'm going to using the grease? Right now I don't have it overclocked at all and its 42C under load, which seems high to me. I don't have very good case cooling, however.

Squid

Registered
Got the same Fan, yes get rid of the thermal tape its crap, then lap the bottom of your heat sink.
Unclocked i got temps in the range of 38^C with it overclocked i get temps in the range of 42-43^C.

Yomama

The silver is meant to make a connection between the Chip and the heatsink bottom. Absolutely remove the pad. Do NOT apply the AS under the pad - conductivity may be greatly reduced.

Yo

W

William

GET THE PAD OFF THE HEATSINK. Sorry for the yelling, just wanted to emphasize the point. WD-40 works very well to get the pad off, i am pretty sure Acetone(nail polish remover) or maybe even rubbing alcohol would work too.

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
you guys missed something important here tho!

Lap it! I don't care if it's with 800 grit! you'll remove all residue from the pad and make a FAR smoother surface than it came OEM.

800 is not a stopping point mind you......but it will definitely remove the old pad (once you have scraped off as much as possible w/o gouging the surface) and smooth it down a bit.

I'd recommend 1200 as a minimum.......I'd recommend 1500 as a max. If you want the shiney surface like I got here:

Then you've got WAY too much time on your hands!