• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Glueing Acrylic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neville

Does anybody know what kind of glue i have to use to bond acrylic together ? I hear super glue will melt into it.

Thanks in advance
Neville

itizme

NOT STUPERGLUE, you will want to solvent cement acrylic.
I might suggest talking to the aquarium guys on this one, check the threads at reefcentral.com I am sure a huge aquarium is more than stressed to the max.
:santa:

cerberus

make sure u get something that dries clear on acrylic surfaces... like he said not superglue.. it'll be cloudy as hell... and most of the stuff u get at the hardware store does not dry clear... i use an epoxy i got at lowes called Plastix... dries as fast as superglue but if u use it sparingly it'll dry nice n clear

cerberus

no clue mate haven't checked... just found it on a random trip to lowes once... home depot prob carries it as well

itizme

IF you want a good strong joint, ask those who know if this is good for your application, if not they will tell you
Call your local aqaurium and reef supply house or look for one on google to see what they sell?
Remember something though, all adhesives are very toxic unless approved for foodservice, even then they can be toxic until "cured"

OP
N

Neville

Good point ItizMe. HomeDepot never had anything and advised me to try a window/glass shop. There is a petshop with great tanks etc so let me pop into them.

Warlord2

hoppies shops have a acrylic cement that is like a liquid and basicaly melts the two acrylics together. Ive used it and its pretty fun, they use it for modeling. I also have used plumbers goop and it held the acrylic together pretty good also (clear and I think water proof) can be found at homedepot. Im sure PVC cement would work also if you dont care if you cant see through it afterwords.

OP
N

Neville

I had a feeling that plumbers goop would work. Anyway the wife bought me something from Walmart and if that doesn't work i'll try plumbers goop.

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs

Neville

badgers

weld-on 40

the 40 is the consistancy of the glue, 40 is watery and it allows it to "flow" into the joint by capilary action.

I got mine at a local plastics shop