• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GNOME or KDE???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayn

Is there a huge difference between the two? My biggest concern is while picking one limit the software I can use? Such as koffice is for KDE, does that mean I cannot use it with GNOME???

Also, whats the best dist for people who are new to linux, but dont want something too newb like redhat or mandrake. I found both those OS' to be too automated, too much like windows. I used slackware before and liked it, but I cannot get it working with my radeon 8500 when i got it... I was thinking maybe Debian. I want something powerful and simple, but not too hard to use.

Last edited:

David

Forums Super Moderator
Slayn said:
Is there a huge difference between the two? My biggest concern is while picking one limit the software I can use? Such as koffice is for KDE, does that mean I cannot use it with GNOME???

You can use KDE programs as long as KDE is installed, and GNOME programs as long as GNOME is installed. If you install both KDE and GNOME, KDE programs will work within GNOME, and vice versa.

Also, whats the best dist for people who are new to linux, but dont want something too newb like redhat or mandrake. I found both those OS' to be too automated, too much like windows. I used slackware before and liked it, but I cannot get it working with my radeon 8500 when i got it... I was thinking maybe Debian. I want something powerful and simple, but not too hard to use.

There is a tradeoff with these distros: the most powerful distros are usually more difficult to install than the easy-install-for-people-new-to-linux distros.

I would say Debian is pretty cool, apt-get rocks, but you will need to know your way around the command line quite well.

I would say give Slackware another shot, and try using the Framebuffer device to get the Radeon working until you can sort out the proper drivers.

David

OP
Slayn

Slayn

Re: Re: GNOME or KDE???

David said:

I would say give Slackware another shot, and try using the Framebuffer device to get the Radeon working until you can sort out the proper drivers.

David

Framebuffer device???

David

Forums Super Moderator
Re: Re: Re: GNOME or KDE???

Slayn said:

Framebuffer device???

Its a standard thingy that allows software to directly access the simple and standard video functions without using the proper drivers.

Its slow, and sucks for games, but it will give you a GUI. Basically the BIOS tells the card to do x resolution and x colour depth, rather than have drivers do it.

The drivers would be a lot better, but the fbdev would work.

David

PolyPill

If you've got Framebuffering for your card in the kernel it works really well and you can do alpha rendering and all sorts of neat stuff. The generic framebuffer mode kind of sucks, especially if you don't have a very powerful system.

I think you should try both Gnome and KDE. I don't think anyone can tell you which one to use, It's more of a personal preference.

I think KDE looks ugly and is too restricting, but that's my opinion.

moorcito

I'd recommend going with neither and using Window Maker. You can build it with GNOME & KDE support, so you can run all of your favorite apps, but you actually have system resources left after starting the window manager.

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
Gnome is really buggy, even in my college they recommend not to use it. KDE is probably more functional than windowmaker, although the simpler GUI's are always faster.
btw you can also install apt-get in another distro such as redhat, but it does rock - no dependency crap you need to deal with.
the Radeons do work with 3d support straight away in some distros (e.g. lycoris 62 beta - not out yet)

PolyPill

Window Maker hasn't changed in the last 10 years. I find it very boring and missing most of the basic functionality. On a decently powered box (500mhz+) KDE and Gnome run just fine.

I find the Gnome 2.0 release in Redhat 8 to be very stable. Only time I run into problems is when I'm messing with unstable packages, which would make sence. If a college said it was so then it must be true. (sarcasm) There's a huge difference between teaching and doing. What they should teach is to not put a GUI on your servers and to do remote administration.

Also, apt-get for rpms is a lot slower than the original debian apt-get. This is because rpms just plain suck. I have run into some minor problems with dist-upgrade, it has a few bugs, but most were worked out by simply running apt-get a bunch of times.

Richard

It all depends on what you want to do with your computer.

WindowMaker is a fantastic bare-bones GUI. "Missing basic functionality"? "Boring"? WM isn't flashy, but it is highly functional and the fact that it hasn't changed makes it predictable. Meaning: It just works.

I personally use WM quite a bit, and find it just as convenient as any other GUI I've ever used.

Fluxbox, Waimea, Blackbox: Lightweight and supports dockapps, and tabbed windows. Not much more to say about it (them.) More of a niche window manager. Would probably be great for an older computer or one with a smallish screen.

Gnome is my next favorite. It is highly configurable/extensible and is well accepted. Gnome2 is still largely in development and shouldn't be considered a "stable" platform. Albeit, it is probably just fine for most people.

KDE is more or less just a MS Explorer clone. Sure KDE 3+ has much improved speed vs previous incarnations, but it is still sluggish at times. (In comparison to something like WMaker or Enlightenment.)

Having said that, KDE does have a lot of good native programs, and a newbie to linux would probably feel fairly comfortable in the KDE environment.

none1

"What is the best linux distro?"
"Which is better, KDE or GNOME?"
"Which of these three ladies is most beutiful?"

Asking the above questions have led to violence and wars throughout history.

:)

PolyPill

none1 said:

Besides, we all know it's the lady on the left which is the most beautiful. (unless your significant other is around) :beer:

Ghastard

none1 said:

Don't forget "Which is better, vi or emacs?