• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Go 11 or stick with 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

Going to be mostly for entertainment, games of course. maybe some exploratory overclocking when i get the time
what would you guys do on a new build, go new with 11 or stick with 10?

i cant decide...

11 fo sho. no issues with how I 'computer' with 11, so no need to go back to 10. Also, for best results with the latest Intel, you need W11 anyway. Not sure what system you're running (needs signature, lol)...

my only real inconveniences with Win11 are

1) (i had it with Win10 as well, after a specific update, but i can't remember which one) that whenever i set the display sleep timer to never, it somehow always resets to 15 minutes: sometimes it takes a few off / on cycles, but sometimes it resets several times in a few hours without turning the machine off. I also hear that it's very rare, as, so far, with lots of internet searches, i've only found one other instance of someone complaining about this. and this has occurred for me on both machines in my sig.

2) The other inconvenience, is that when i perform a Windows update, it behooves me to reinstall the GFx drivers (simple overwriting of the same drivers works), otherwise my GFx performance suffers by about 10-20%, depending on benchmark / game / resolution. it could be that i'm still using an SLI setup of 2070 Supers, where most of the updates (beside games) is based around newer architecture of the 30x0s and 40x0s, such as DLSS 3.0. i'm thinking it may be time to upgrade GPUs

3) ICUE crashes occasionally, and so does ASUS Armoury Crate (motherboard) software, and occasionally bricks the system if i'm playing a game at the same time... not BSOD brick, but freezes the whole thing to make it unresponsive, needing a press of the reset button. i blame the software, as i've read many bad things about both. i'm the moron who decided he had to have aRGB bling.

I still prefer 10 but MS is ending support in a couple of years. Why does that matter for me? I manage and maintain ~1000 desktop systems so I don't want to be caught behind the 8 ball. Weird thing is, 11 will complain that certain hardware can't 'upgrade' to it, but the same hardware works fine if you do a clean install. Anyway, I use open shell on all my images anyway (which basically keeps the windows 7 style start button) as my end users can't deal with Metro/Non old school start button.

11 fo sho. no issues with how I 'computer' with 11, so no need to go back to 10. Also, for best results with the latest Intel, you need W11 anyway. Not sure what system you're running (needs signature, lol)...
7800x3d on a b650e taichi

my only real inconveniences with Win11 are

1) (i had it with Win10 as well, after a specific update, but i can't remember which one) that whenever i set the display sleep timer to never, it somehow always resets to 15 minutes: sometimes it takes a few off / on cycles, but sometimes it resets several times in a few hours without turning the machine off. I also hear that it's very rare, as, so far, with lots of internet searches, i've only found one other instance of someone complaining about this. and this has occurred for me on both machines in my sig.

2) The other inconvenience, is that when i perform a Windows update, it behooves me to reinstall the GFx drivers (simple overwriting of the same drivers works), otherwise my GFx performance suffers by about 10-20%, depending on benchmark / game / resolution. it could be that i'm still using an SLI setup of 2070 Supers, where most of the updates (beside games) is based around newer architecture of the 30x0s and 40x0s, such as DLSS 3.0. i'm thinking it may be time to upgrade GPUs

3) ICUE crashes occasionally, and so does ASUS Armoury Crate (motherboard) software, and occasionally bricks the system if i'm playing a game at the same time... not BSOD brick, but freezes the whole thing to make it unresponsive, needing a press of the reset button. i blame the software, as i've read many bad things about both. i'm the moron who decided he had to have aRGB bling.

strange on the sleep timer, never had that on 10. I usually disable windows update too and update manually, thats saved me a lot of headaches

I still prefer 10 but MS is ending support in a couple of years. Why does that matter for me? I manage and maintain ~1000 desktop systems so I don't want to be caught behind the 8 ball. Weird thing is, 11 will complain that certain hardware can't 'upgrade' to it, but the same hardware works fine if you do a clean install. Anyway, I use open shell on all my images anyway (which basically keeps the windows 7 style start button) as my end users can't deal with Metro/Non old school start button.

yea thats part of what i am considering, i'm looking at something similar at work but wont until forced to, so 2025 if they keep me on, so knowing a little more i'll have a leg up sort of speak.
your users need the start menu to be that pinned down? man i thought rehab clinic staff was bad... i would run decrapifier so it would just give me a program list with out ads but i didnt have to change the start button it self.

hmm i wonder if decrapifier works on 11...

I finally upgraded to 11 on a PC that was well qualified. I was trying to fix an issue where my monitor wouldn't sleep.

Steam being exited (not just minimized to tray) allowed the monitor to sleep. I have a driver that is being blocked on startup but have not resolved the issue yet.

I have Win 11 looking pretty much like Win 10...so no down side.

Using W11 in dual boot with Linux for 'windows only' video editing software. I'm actually impressed with W11's power mgmt, goes to sleep and awakes smoothly.

I just made the switch on my main system yesterday. I had been testing 11 on my laptop and other test system for some time. So far so good. There are some things still to get used to, but if a change is forced that is inevitable.

my experience is so far, 10 skinned with settings moved.
but 10 was moving settings any way so...

i was almost bummed because i forgot they took ms paint out but i found it in the M$ store and its more or less the same, the UI has been "updated" but its all in the same place and the mspaint run command works still too.
sounds silly but i use paint to resize and crop pics i post on message boards.

one thing i did notice was gone, i cant double click icons in windows on the top left corner to close them any more. that was like a Win3.1 thing that held on for a long time... im sad its gone

I added Paint for Windows 10 to Windows 11. I prefer Paint for Windows 10 better because you can hide the ribbon. They removed the ability to hide the ribbon in Paint for Windows 11. That is very useful when you are using it on a laptop where screen space is precious.

Paint (11&10) #2.jpg

Multiboot. Always! Never just one OS.

EasyBCD.png

I installed Win 10 the day it come out, but only on another partition, so I could switch OS at will.
Still spend most time on [Win 8.1 + Classic Shell] even though it ended updates a few months ago. No ads, no forced updates, and my favorite: classic WinXP Start Button!

WinXPStartButton.png

So far for me 8.1 is still the best overall, but most games now have/need DX12, so sadly moved to 10. Haven't seen/heard anything that would make moving to 11 worthwhile though, especially after the scheduler debacle?

With space so plentiful, why opt to move instead of multi booting?

You can even drive image one OS FROM another, by the time you come back from a short bathroom break your rig is rebooted into a fresh image that fixes everything, especially if you organize your drive image partition to not save anything on C drive but to another drive. I have all my system folders custom moved to E:\ drive so they are not affected by drive imaging.

This was REALLY useful on my Windows ME / Windows 2000 system 20 years ago - but to this day I do it.

Back