• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GodMode Folder ... DUN DUN DUN!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnz

Don't try this on Vista. Explorer went into a continuous crash loop, and I had to restart the machine with Task Manager. I booted to XP, and deleted the folder from there. I didn't try rebooting into Vista.

Omsion

Sounds useful.

Don't try this on Vista. Explorer went into a continuous crash loop, and I had to restart the machine with Task Manager. I booted to XP, and deleted the folder from there. I didn't try rebooting into Vista.
Ouch. Probably could have command-lined it from within Vista, though.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
The "GodMode" feature is really just a hidden shell folder called "All Tasks", that can also be accessed by typing the following into the Explorer address bar...

shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

At one point during the Win7 betas this feature was even exposed to users as All Tasks, but hidden in the final releases. Someone at some point just named the folder GodMode, but like SteveLord mentioned above it can be named anything...

AllTasks.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Old Thrashbarg

Yes, this is nothing new or particularly special. You can do similar things even going all the way back to Win95. The strings are different, but they're all located in the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\, and many can be found just by searching for "system.[name of application]" though not all of them are named quite so intelligibly.

For example, in XP, and believe the string is the same for 2K and perhaps even farther back than that, you can make a folder with the string {21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} to create a Control Panel link anywhere.