• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going solar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckerants

Good news is that APS (power company) has finally approved the solar panel install and all I have to do is have the solar company literally flip a switch at my house. Jst in time for the 110F+ weather this week.

The bad news is that both of my Folding rigs are in the garage where I guess it got so hot, I found both of them shut down this morning.

Assuming the panels are switchd on next week, I'll know in 2 months just how much money I save with the solar panels. I guess I also need to have the electricals upgraded in the garage for my Folding rigs and MacGuyver some kind of cooling in there.

I guess I also need to have the electricals upgraded in the garage for my Folding rigs and MacGuyver some kind of cooling in there.

You think? :rofl: I would say you need more than just some cooling, insulate that garage :)
Congrats on the Solar :thup:

Sweet!

I tried this once back a few years off some batteries and a few panels.
Lasted 2 hours running a 7850 and 6850 mining full tilt off of 2 large AGMs.

Then my dad blew up my inverter! :rofl:

Looks like the Folders are coming in the house for the Summer. They lasted until 10AM before the garage got too hot and they both shut down.

trying to fold in phoenix, in the garage, in the summer..... kidding.... right?????????
I have a small, support location out in paurump Nevada, just forget that kind of stuff.

can't wait to see the numbers on the solar after a while, who did you go with?

Solar City.
trying to fold in phoenix, in the garage, in the summer..... kidding.... right?????????
I have a small, support location out in paurump Nevada, just forget that kind of stuff.

can't wait to see the numbers on the solar after a while, who did you go with?

Congrats on the solar install. I'm jealous! :) :) :)

We've been talking to SolarCity as well, and once we get 3~6 months worth of electric bills we're going to get a quote and (hopefully) move forward.

Let us know how it goes with the billing once you go a month or two now that the system is online.

Very cool. While solar is not ready for my part of the country, I am very interested in how it goes. In terms of your 110 degree days already, we are dying in the low 80's. I can't even imagine. Protect those folders!

evaps work best out in the drier parts of the country, as humid as it is here in the south east we use them.

I think in the south they get called swamp coolers though, right? Without grants, solar panels don't pay in the northeast.

I put solar on my house a couple years ago. 13 panels ($20k, all I could afford) handles about 40% of my usage (single, living in an old house).

Btw, high heat hurts efficiency of the panels. Still, you probably get more sunny days than I do in the Pacific NW.

back in florida we called them swap coolers, because we crackers could not afford a/c.

Back