• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going solar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw an article today that related that Solar City is announcing a full solar roof with batteries for storage, a package deal, wanting to capture some of the 5,000,000 roof replacements performed nationally each year. Musk mentioned it when he acquired Solar City but it appears it was on the drawing board already, just that now with Musk also owning a lithium battery company the synergies are being drawn together for these products. Maybe soon........

SolarCity is majority owned by Musk's cousin with Musk being a shareholder as well. They are currently planning a merger between Tesla and SolarCity.

Yep, I'm interested in seeing at what point would it be cost effective to eventually have an ROI for solar in Ohio. I doubt it will be any time soon, unfortunately.

But at least SolarCity had the right idea of basically selling it as a long term purchase instead of a huge upfront cost. Granted there are a lot of questions about how their full solar roof would work as well, do you tear off the current roof and replace? Put the 'shingles' on top of the current ones? How durable are they (for winter months of sleet, heavy snow, and hail) and the potential repair costs are also likely quite expensive.

Back