• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to ebay keeps forwarding to my netgear router?? why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Everytime I go to ebay, in a few seconds it keeps forwarding me to my netgear router setup. I'm lost on why its doing this. Any ideas?

check your router settings, I'm betting it was hacked and has some forwarding setup or a 'special' DNS setup.

also check your hosts file and make sure it has not been edited it at C:\windows\System32\drivers\etc should look like this
Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

look for an entry possibly ebay.com 192.168.1.1

also run malwarebytes and make sure you dont have some kind of a browser hijacker or something.

I checked my hosts file, I ran spybot and malwarebytes and nothing found...

Really weird...It does it in multiple browsers, edge, chrome etc, so its not browser related. It looks like its forwarding to my wifi adapter I use, so its not a "hack" exactly because I own the wifi adapter, but why would it be forwarding from ebay searches?

Does it happen from your phone or other computers on your network or just yours?

Try TorBrowser. A lot of times if a connection is refused/blocked whatever, TorBrowser goes right through. Not saying this is a solution to your networking config. Aside from checking your hosts file is it actually read-only, as it should be? I use HostsXpert with mine.

Back