• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to O/C my first AMD is my case cooling going to be okay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

Right now I have 1 120mm 250 cfm (EDIT: errr...they are 130 cfm @ 49 Db) (intake) in the middle/side of a crappy $40 soyo case and 1 120mm 250 cfm top blow hole.

What I'm not sure about is, is this enough airflow?

I am going to add an intake fan in front (possibly in back) to maintain positive air preasure. Should use 1 120mm 250 cfm in front or 2 80mm fans (unknow cfm since I haven't bought them yet) as intakes, one in front, one in back. Or, just one 80mm infront?

What do you think?

Last edited:

Nico3k

wow. yeah that should defenately be enough with thouse 120mm fans. try to have as much air going in as you do going out.

good luck :D

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Its tough to tell just what will work best even when a system is running, nevermind before its built;)

But it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things to start with.

My guess would be another 120mm as front intake (as low as you can get it) and an 80mm for exhaust just under the psu.

You should have plenty of flow, and pretty decent flow pattern that way.

But I could be wrong:D
All cases/situations differ so there is no guarantee that what works great in one will work in another. Whenever possible, I suggest trying things before making permanent mods to the case.

My opinion- for what its worth:D

Tipycol

Well what are your temps right now? If they are bad, then you might need some more airflow, and adding the 120mm in the front and the 80 in the back like OC Noob suggested. If they are alright, then you should go ahead and get a stable OC. Once you've gotten that, see how your temps are again. If they are a high, then you'd need more cooling. But with the case fans you've got right now, I'm pretty sure you'd be set at least for now :)

Just curious, how loud are those 120mm fans you've got on your case right now?

Good Luck with you OC

Tipycol

OP
OC Noob

OC Noob

I haven't gotten all of the pieces for the system yet. I am modding the case now because I'm bored and want it ready when the RAM, mobo, CPU and HSF get here.

I think I will add the 120mm intake to the front and an 80mm exhaust, as suggested.

The 120mm fans I have are the $5 ones from the 120mm fans for $5 thread in the cyberdeals forum. Unfortunatly, they come with a different type of connector and I haven't gotten the adapters for them yet. People who bought some of them say they are "real hummers." So I take it they are fairly loud.

I'm getting the power connector adapters tomorrow or the next day. I'll let you know how loud they are (no doccumentation came with the fans so I don't know the Db rating).

OP
OC Noob

OC Noob

The 120mm fans are...hummers to say the least:)

I had a Tt Dragon 478 and when it as set to high it sounded like these 120mm fans. Well, atleast I don't have to listen to those 747s flying over the house anymore:p

I wonder if I could get one of those Rheostat things so I could turn them up and down as needed?