• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going water cooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoinks

First I would like to say what a great community! Lots of helpful people and a ton of terrific information. I have been lurking here for the past month or so. What started out as a desktop replacement project has morphed into a performance PC project. I'm a very experienced system builder but this will be the first water cooling setup for me.

I have the following hardware:

Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3
CPU: i7 970 Hexacore
GPU: EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked in 2-Way SLI (Soon to be 3 Way)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 24GB
SSD: Crucial 256GB SATA III
Hard Disk: 2x Western Digital 2TB 6.0Gb/s SATA
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200

This system is currently residing in a Thermaltake Armor+ case but I will be moving it to a SilverStone TJ07. There are a number of threads here where others have documented their builds with this case, and they have been very helpful in assisting me in my decisions.

My first thought was to go with two loops, one for the CPU and another for the GPUs. But after spending several days reading and thinking about how I would benefit from all of this I decided that I am really fine with the stock GPU coolers. The fans definitely make a bit of noise when the cards are under load, but I don't find it so objectionable that I need to spend $500 or more on a dedicated water cooling loop to tame the noise. The GPUs never get above 77C under full load with the stock cooler so it isn't like I have a heat problem on my graphics boards that I need to address.

That leaves me with a CPU loop and that is where I believe there are gains to be had. My system has short term stability with an overclock to 4.2 and even 4.5GHz, but temps are a problem. While running Prime95 within three to five minutes core temps are at 85C and rising slowly but steadily. I estimate that at 4.2GHz I need to deal with about 220 watts. I have already tried one of the massive air coolers on the market and it just isn't enough. If I want to get to 4+ GHz with reasonable temps I have concluded that it is going to take water cooling to do it.

I have put together a rough bill of materials for this setup:

Koolance CPU-370 water block
Swiftech MCP655 12v Water Pump
XSPC Tank Reservoir - Laing D5
Black Ice SR1 480 Radiator
XSPC RS/RX 120mm Series Radiator Stand
Four Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120 x 25mm Fans
Tygon R-3603 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) - Laboratory Tubing
IandH Dead-Water Copper Sulfate Biocidal PC Coolant Additive

I haven't made up my mind yet about fittings. I like the look of compression fittings but am thinking that barbs and clamps may be more secure and reliable. I am also a little unsure of the XSPC reservior. I have some time to mull over these choices. I would like to be ordering by mid month.

Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

--Jerome

First suggestion....don't buy at frozencpu.com....great store, but top dollar.
Unless you have a specific desire to shop there, the prices justify shopping elsewhere...
Your pump is $30 cheaper at ppcs

Second, I'm a fan of 3/8 ID 5/8 OD, it is MORE kink resistant, and at the same time more flexible and easier to route. I'm not sure why everyone prefers 1/2 ID 3/4 OD, its a PITA to work with and performance is virtually identical.

Third, there are a lot of D5 fans and a lot of DDC fans, I'm a DDC fan, so I would suggest switching that, but this is more of a personal preference thing. The difference is the D5 has very good flow in low restriction loops, but has trouble with higher restriction loops. The DDC has excellent pressure for higher restriction loops, but cannot match the flow of the D5 in higher restriction loops. I like the DDC because its cheaper and smaller, and if you want to expand your loops later with GPU blocks, it'll handle the load without issue. But considering all these factors, and what you've said about your plans, I think the D5 is a reasonible choice for you, again my personal preference is the only reason for me to bring this up.

Looks good so far, keep us posted :thup:

Oh...and :welcome: to OCForums :)

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I'll take a look at the tubing recommendation and will be sure to shop around and compare prices before placing an order.

--Jerome

I ended up returning the Silverstone case. After carefully looking over the interior and doing some basic fitting I decided that it wasn't going to meet my needs without doing some considerable modding on the case to make it work.

I am instead going to buy a case from Danger Den, most likely a Black-Series Tower 26. I would prefer to have an easier build using a case that was designed for water cooling from the get go.

--Jerome

Cash isn't the problem, but space is. I would like to stick with a single-wide if possible, and retain the ability to run two loops. I plan to start out with a single CPU loop. The highest I can go with my i7 970 on air is 4GHz.

I have a triple SLI GTX570 setup and want to take a little more time to consider GPU cooling. On air the cards under load get to about 80C, and while that is well within thermal limits the fans are pretty noisy.

OTOH, the Danger Den double wide is a little more space friendly and could easily host a dual loop.

--Jerome

I have decided to water cool the GPUs as well. I'm going to do it more for the benefits of noise control than overclocking. It adds a great deal to the cost but I feel that it will be worth it.

I figure I need to deal with about 900 watts max between the three GPUs and the CPU. It's probably a little less in practice but I would rather have a little overkill and believe strongly in worst-case planning. Two loops seem to be a common recommendation in my scenario. Juding from the triple rad comparison at Skinee Labs it almost looks like I can get it done with two radiators: a triple 120 and a quad 120 (the former for the CPU loop and the latter for the GPU loop). Alternatively I suppose I could use a triple 120 for the CPU and two triple 120s in series for the GPUs - though I haven't yet figured out what the impact would be on flow rates with two 360 rads in series so I don't yet know if this is a realistic option.

As for cases, I am taking my time on that as well. Originally I wasn't thrilled at the thought of a double wide but I can make the room for one if necessary. I think that both the Danger Den Double Wide 21 and the Mountain Mods Ascension are nice cases. The Ascension gives you more options it seems to me. All of the vids on Youtube featuring this case have two power supplies installed (can't figure out why -- 4-Way SLI perhaps?). I also like that the Ascension gives you the choice of a horizontal or vertical motherboard tray - I could probably go either way. Horizontal would be nice because the machine will sit to the right of desk on the floor, and with a top window I could look in an see the motherboard and WC plumbing without moving the case.

--Jerome

A triple for the CPU is just fine. A quad will give you great temps, especially if you fold. You can get by with a triple for the GPUs because they don't mind higher temps and can live with higher water temps. A quad would be best to keep the fans below audible, or close to it.

Two quality low FPI rads with 6 GT 15 fans at 1000 RPM and I can't hear the fans at all.

Thanks for the input.

I think I have settled on the Mountain Mods Ascension case. I've spent about a week on and off looking at cases and I can't think of one that I have seen that matches its flexibility.

I need to plan the build so I can figure out how to configure the case. I saw a Youtube video of a guy showing off his Ascension case and he had no idea what he was going to do with it. He had fan/rad cutouts in places where there was no space for a rad because it interfered with something else (like a power supply.) I was just stunned that someone could throw down $500 for a case and not even have their build figured out in advance.

I'm taking my time and will try to talk to someone at Mountain Mods to discuss the build before ordering the case. It is way more important for me to get it right than to get it fast. I'll post the configuration asking for critiques when I have that worked out.

--Jerome

Last edited:
Wow! That is one well-made and cavernous case. It may be a little too large for the space I have available. But I have to admit that I love the idea of being able to install two 120.4 rads in the top.

Mountain Mods has a duel motherboard in one case! I have no need for it, but it makes Me happy:)

I really like the 922 HAF X, its not a perfect case, but for the money it is nice. I have some $400+ cases and they work great but very purpose built. I like the newest silver stone too, but its too expensive for Me this time around:(

After buying a Drive Bay Res and beign tired of the hose configuration I bought the XSPC Tank Res and that has worked perfectly.

I shop/shopped at FrozenCPU because I live close to them, but now its almost a hassle, and I never really liked how I felt when I was in the place. It use to be much friendlier, but now its just a warehouse with a guy at the desk who doesn't even know how to use a browser :(

I think businesses in general are less friendly than they used to be. The economy is tough and a lot of small and medium sized businesses have to do more with less, and staff resources are usually strained.

That said, I don't like it either. I called Danger Den earlier today to discuss their double wide. A receptionist answered my call, and then transfered me to a busy line and I could not even leave a message. The automated recording said call back later. Giving a potential customer the cold shoulder is not a good start nor is it a particularly effective way to win business, it seems to me. I was going to write them off because it didn't look like their case would take two quads...but it seems that it does. Anyway, I sent them a note -- but there is no way in hell I am going to drop $500 on a case without speaking to someone and getting my technical questions answered.

I plan to talk to Mountain Mods as well, probably on Wednesday since I won't have time tomorrow.

CaseLabs won out. I have exchanged several emails with Jim and have my config nailed down. It will be a TH10 in black matte. The case measures 25H x 26D x 15W. It's a bit of monster and I will have to move my desk some 5" to the left to make room for it...but I suspect that this will be the last case I ever have to buy. Now I can focus on the WC design.

Progress is a wonderful thing. Major thanks to MIAHALLEN for suggesting CaseLabs.

Last edited:
Things are moving forward. The order for my CaseLabs TH10 is in. I then turned my attention to the water cooling setup. I will be going with two loops. I'll start with the CPU loop. I made a few minor changes to my initial list above to shave the cost down without making any major compromises.

I don't think you can simply read yourself to a trouble free build. And after a while of extended reading you end up with analysis paralysis, which is sort of where I was at. After several weeks of reading, studying, thinking, and rethinking I said enough is enough. Reading is only going to get you so far, and there is no substitute for first-hand experience. Learn by doing. I think I have picked up enough in what I read so I don't do something stupid and trash my system...but we will soon find out. The game is afoot!

I ordered most of my CPU loop components from Performance PC.

Swiftech MCR420-QP Radiator
Koolance CPU-370 Water Block
Lamptron Aluminum Clamps
Stainless Shielded Hose Clamps (In case I didn't like the above)
XSPC Tank Reservoir for Laing D5
Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
PrimoFlex U/V Red Tubing 3/8" ID 5/8" OD
Bitspower Premium Shiny Silver compression fittings
Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm Red LED Fans

I ordered the following items from Frozen CPU

Bitspower Shiny Silver Rotary 45 Degree compression fittings
Deluxe Multi-power ports (to power fans)
PT Nuke
Kill Coil

It's alll been shipped and is on the way. I'll get up and running with the CPU loop for a few weeks and then I will order the parts for the GPU loop. It should be a lot of fun.

3/8" ID is 97$ as good if not more for flow rates. Easier to work with. I like the fat hose look, and we obsess with flow. So he's 100% just fine.

Zoinks! Batman! LOL, Zoinks is from some TV show.

I think you got a good choice of parts. And yea, you got it. Seen a few get paralized. Since it's just a hobby and not a 'Nucler Reactor' you just have to go for it.

Just take your time please. Buying parts is one thing, building it for your first time should be slow, gentle, and special.... Haha! Sounds like I'm 15 again....

I'm sure you read the stickies about building. Something is aways an issue, so don't fret it.

You read my 2011 loop cleaning? Info about the Lamp clamps, or did you read what I wrote in another post? Delicate suckers. You might strip 1 out.

My son was in CT for sub training last year. Groton?

3/8" ID is 97$ as good if not more for flow rates. Easier to work with. I like the fat hose look, and we obsess with flow. So he's 100% just fine.

I changed to 3/8 because it seemed easier to work with. I found a couple of videos on Youtube that clarified that distinction where written words alone were insufficient.

Zoinks! Batman! LOL, Zoinks is from some TV show.

Shaggy from Scooby Doo... ;)

You read my 2011 loop cleaning? Info about the Lamp clamps, or did you read what I wrote in another post? Delicate suckers. You might strip 1 out.

I read through that thread. Thanks.

My son was in CT for sub training last year. Groton?

Yep. Groton. I'm a Navy vet and former bubblehead. Served on SSBN 627 class nuclear powered submarines. Left the Navy 22 years ago and have been working as an IT consultant ever since.

Back