• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Golden Orb for P3 900 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A

alex

Even if it doesn't have a relation with OCing, I would need some info on this : I have an HP Pavilion 8766c, which has a very noisy heatsink/fan on top of the processor ( a pentium 3 900 MHz at 100MHz fsb ), and I would like to switch it to a GOLDEN ORB for Coppermine (my cpu is a FCPGA) and I would like to know if it is a good heat dissipator ('cuz I don't want to fry my p3 with too much heat !)? Thanks, Alexandru Stefanescu

probably will be as bad. I think a Pal 3035 or a FOP 32-1 would be a much better idea.

I agree with William. I don't know why, but when I installed the ORB on my Celeron 600, it (the orb) performed worse than my stock HSF. Alpha Pal with Y.S. Tech 27cfm fan keeps my chip cool, its not loud, and it doesn't cost a lot of money.

so, how much aproximatly for the Pal, and does anyone know where in ottawa (ontario) could I find any ?

alex (Jul 28, 2001 10:25 p.m.):
so, how much aproximatly for the Pal, and does anyone know where in ottawa (ontario) could I find any ?

I recently asked a friend of mine who travels to Ottawa to see relatives all the time what he thought of the computer product prices in Ottawa, He said he was not impressed (he said something a bit harsher actually). I live in the "905" region about an hour east of Toronto and when I buy computer stuff I almost always go into the big city, prices there are about 20% (average) cheaper than anything in my area. I know Ottawa is a good deal farther from T.O. than my home but if you're not in a rush and you've got relatives or some reason to go to T.O. eventually then I suggest banking your pennies and when you do go for someone's birthday or whatever buy EVERYTHING you can get that you need or plan to need in the future. Or if you're courageous you could always order over the internet with a credit card from a Toronto site, It'd still be in-province so you wouldn't have to worry about U.S. exchange rates and such. You can get ANYTHING in Toronto.

Gorb did ok on my 700@933 with load temps usually 12 degrees F over the mobo. Idle temps were even with the mobo or 1-2 gerees F over. Not great but a lot better than the stock units. Mine is lapped and has the twist clip which does rule. For not much more you can get a Golden Gate copper sink, it's your choice. No, the Gorb will NOT fry your chip. No, it is not the best for hardcore overclocking. I would offer you my lapped one but in all fairness the shipping is prolly more than a Gorb costs anyway.

i cant get a handle on this whole lapping thing, i tried to do it using my dremel mini drill, and i ended up having to take maybe 1/8 inch off trying to get it back to where it was....anyone got a good tutorial, with pics, for lapping?

Maybe someone can tell me why my computer wont work when the golden orb is installed? I have a penitum!!! 933@987 gigabyte MB, 1ghz micron 133sdram.
right now I use a crappy old hsf, it does its job but its loud and has a very loose fit, I just purchased the new mobo, 2 more sticks of ram, two 81 gig maxtor firewire drives and the gorb so buying another hsf is not realy an option as I am poor, id like to get this golden orb to work, if anyone knows what the deal is let me know asap
thanks

I would talk to OpenFriday about Canadian e-tailers. He knows a few of them.

I think Gorb would work. Maybe it's not very efficient but it can dissipate wattage P3 900 generates well if there is some airflow through case.

funnyperson1 (Jul 29, 2001 12:44 a.m.):
i cant get a handle on this whole lapping thing, i tried to do it using my dremel mini drill, and i ended up having to take maybe 1/8 inch off trying to get it back to where it was....anyone got a good tutorial, with pics, for lapping?

err..I don't think a dremel mini drill is the correct tool for lapping?...you want a sheet of glass or mirror..then you want some fine grit wet/dry sandpaper...for cpu lapping 1500+, for heatsink lapping 600grit - 1000 grit.

Tape the sandpaper to the glass (face up) and wet it...for a heatsink, start with a coarser grit, (I used a 600) sand it in a figure 8 motion or alternate between side to side and up and down. Finish it with a finer grit (I used 1000) make sure the surface is even.
The whole idea of lapping is to ensure an even contact between cpu and hs.
Check the front page ( http://overclockers.com/ ), I'm sure there are more in depth explanations regarding lapping w/pics.

As far as the gorb goes, I have one. I haven't used it and probably won't ever, my husband might mod it for his video card, but so far, it's a conversation piece.

I have a fop32 on my p3 550 @ 770, temps hover around 40 celcius. I haven't lapped either the hs or the cpu...before I added the Arctic Silver II, my temps were closer to 50C.

Phoenix, it may not sale that much, but anyway, it was in an OEM computer ( Hewlett Packard ) 9*100MHz, and all completely locked from overclocking by hp !

alex (Aug 01, 2001 01:53 a.m.):
Phoenix, it may not sale that much, but anyway, it was in an OEM computer ( Hewlett Packard ) 9*100MHz, and all completely locked from overclocking by hp !

what heatsink are you going with?

then, which one is cheap (inexpensive) and quiet ?
Thanks

alex (Aug 01, 2001 12:08 p.m.):
then, which one is cheap (inexpensive) and quiet ?
Thanks

A Fop 32-1 is around $20(little cheaper) and is quiet and will be the crap out of a gorb.

Back