• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gonna Build Me A Game Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdytorave

Hello,
I am thinking about building a server strictly to host games. The most I am willing to spend is $1,000. It will be a dedicated gaming rig. I won't be actually playing games on the server, I have my own rig for that. So, what CPU, Motherboard, Hardrive, Ram, etc, do you recommend?
Thanks
rdytorave

toastedzergling

rdytorave said:
Hello,
I am thinking about building a server strictly to host games. The most I am willing to spend is $1,000. It will be a dedicated gaming rig. I won't be actually playing games on the server, I have my own rig for that. So, what CPU, Motherboard, Hardrive, Ram, etc, do you recommend?
Thanks
rdytorave

Aha, for a game server $1000 is probably overkill.

CPU celly 1.1a
Mobo Abit ST6
Ram generic 512mb pc133
Hard-drive 40gig 7200rpm, IBM 120gxp has good server performance.

This will actually save energy cost!!!

mayagrafix

what is a game server? Duhhh!

Okey I know what a file server is, but what is the purpose and need for a game server?

toastedzergling

A game sever serves mulitplayer games, LOL, I think the most important thing is your upload speed, then the amount of ram, CPU speed, hard drive etc do not really matter much :)

Last edited:
OP
rdytorave

rdytorave

Well assuming I have a T1 line and want to host large player games like 64 player Battlefield 1942 and 32 player Unreal Tournament 2003. What kinda specs do I need?

attack

MSI K7D from newegg 160 (refurb)
2 XP1600+'s 105
1 gig PC2700 registered ECC 310
2 volcano 7's 40 bucks
A cheapo video card 25 bucks
80gb 8mb cache HD 117
case w/420watt PSU 80
NIC 10 bucks

That comes to around 850 bucks, you can upgrade CPU's if you like or maybe PSU whatever ya know that there is a high powered serving machine.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
ATC9001 lists a really good rig.

My only change would be to get a really good Network Card. If you're talking about a T1 and 64 people connecting to it, don't skimp on the network card. Get yourself an Intel Pro1000MT. It is a 66MHz card, costs $50, and will give you lots of bandwidth at very low latency (since it uses the 66MHz PCI slots.) It is a 10/100/1000 card, autosensing, of course.

If you don't have to live next door to this computer, and don't care about noise, then get any old good, noisy heatsinks. The Speeze 5R265B1H3 that Joe reviewed a little while back is actually a really good heatsink for $8. I bought a pair, just to test them out. The noise level is much better than most heatsinks I have used they perform really well. I ran a pair of XP1600's overclocked to 1667 Mhz, and my temps never went over 110 at full load. For my own use, though, I prefer SVC GC68's with Panaflo L1A fans on them ($14 combo.) This combo is nearly silent. Not as good at cooling as the previously mentioned Speeze, but very, very quiet. I run my wife's dual XP1600's overclocked to 1533 MHz @ 1.525 Volts with these. Temps are grerat and I run three instances of [email protected] 24/7. Can't overclock the machine as high as I could with noisier heatsinks, but for me, the performance is great, at a noise level we both can stand.

Jkasmann

Registered
ATC9001, that is very nice.

Still probably overkill, game servers dont really need much power. But if you wanna spend the money on something cool, then thats a pretty good call. A lot of times what you "need" isnt really important ;).

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
It's not about needing it, it's about wanting it, and building it. EDIT... and running [email protected] on it!

I love building and overclocking computers.

The only thing that is better is building and overclocking duals.:burn: :burn:

Last edited:

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
Fast hard drive, lots of ram and good network bandwidth are very important for a game server.

Min ram = 512 ddr
Min Hd = 40gb

Daul cpu is a bonus if you want to run more than one game at a time on a machine.

Daul network cards is another idea you might want to look into.

relic

cmcquistion said:
ATC9001 lists a really good rig.

My only change would be to get a really good Network Card. If you're talking about a T1 and 64 people connecting to it, don't skimp on the network card. Get yourself an Intel Pro1000MT. It is a 66MHz card, costs $50, and will give you lots of bandwidth at very low latency (since it uses the 66MHz PCI slots.) It is a 10/100/1000 card, autosensing, of course.

Um...I think you went overboard there, Bro. A T1 has a maximum bandwidth of 1.5Mbps. I can't imagine why you would use a 1000Mbps card in that configuration. ;)

Now an OC-24, on the other hand..would make a great gaming pipe for that NIC.... ;)

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Actually, I just recommended it because it is a good quality 66Mhz capable Network card and it would allow some flexibility and speed if he ever decided to use it as a File Server.

The 33MHz PCI bus has some latency issues. For latency dependant applications, like online gaming, I would suggest using the 66 MHz bus.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
  • LOTS of RAM - minimum of 512MB for a 16 player UT2003 server, 1GB for a sizeable BF1942 server
  • Very fast connection, i.e. 768k SDSL or better. UT2003, SoF2, RtCW and other FPS games require 3 kilobytes/second per client, up and down. BF1942 requires 5kb/s.
  • Hard drive only needs to be big enough for the OS and the game stuff.
  • Processor needs to be up to snuff, but nothing fancy. Something that would run the game well as a client will also work well in a server.
  • High quality NIC. If it's a single CPU system then you won't have 64/66 PCI slots. Anyway, you can still get a good NIC. Look for 3com, Intel, Xircom.

My clan has a SoF2 and UT2003 server hosted by ILAN game (www.ilangame.com) and they use dual AMD 2000+ with 1.5 gigs of RAM each, but they run about 4 games on each of these systems. They have dual OC48 and quad OC192 connections for their hosting sites, but that's for a HUGE amount of servers. I got this information a while ago from one of their techs when we were looking to build ourselves our own server.

Last edited:

relic

I figured that, CMC.

In all my years of working with WANs I've never seen a T1 or even many OC-x that didn't have 1000x more latency then any NIC. Remember that the client-side router connection is almost certainly going to be 10baseT, and even the internal latencies in the router will probably be higher than any PCI lag.

For a LAN server a Gigabit card on a 66MHz bus makes a lot of sense, for an internet connection even an old ISA card can usually keep up without much trouble.

Although I would recommend a PCI 3Com or Intel NIC because they'll usually blow if there's a surge rather then let it get to your Mobo.

(and I'm sure most of us with broadband have lost at least one nic to a storm)

However, for $50 it's probably a moot point...
It certainly won't hurt and it's cheap. Why the heck not? ;)

{PMS}fishy

Look around on E-bay for some used dual Intel stuff that is your best bet. I use Dual PIII 450's for my game server. 512mb of ram is good enough for up to 32 players. Im running an Intel Pro 10/100 nic, which I think is the best one out there, but there comes a price with it. I would opt for Dual Intel Pro 1000 nics, if I were building a new server. Two 10gig HDDs, which I back up Every night with. I would not want RAID, cause you want something from yesterday to fall back on, if you screw up some config files, or worst case, you get hacked.

Wraith

Ram isnt as important as Clock speed, i think. How can you say a server would be better with a p2 233 w 1 Gig of ram as aposed to a xp 2600+ with 128 megs. (nnon actualy said that its just an example)

corect me it im wrong

madcow235

over at one of the clans i used to belong to in bf1942 the server master guy said that the game actually ran worse on the dual processors because BF does not support multithreading. I would suggest looking into what games you want to host and if they even support the dualies