• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gonna Lap the NB on the IC7...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunal

Registered
Hey guys, I've read a lot about lapping NB HSF's and applying AS of sorts increasing FSB's, so I thought I'd get this stuff out of the way before the RAM arrives.

I've taken the HSF of, and I've been cleanin the thermal pad of with some Akasa TIM-clean, have a question. The HSF's got a white foam frame on the base, guessing this is some sort of padding... is this required? If I take it off to lap the base, will I need to re-atch it for the HSF to make proper contact?

Need to know ASAP so I can start lappin :)

batboy

Senior Moment
I haven't pulled the northbridge sink off my IC7 yet, but have been thinking about doing so soon. If it's like my old TH7-II, that foam thing is just a shim to prevent the sink from rocking on the chip (which can "crush the corners" if you're not careful). I removed it from my TH7-II when I lapped the chipset sink and left it off (I never had any problems in the 15 months I ran that mobo). If you have access to a digital camera, take a pic of the chip and underside of the sink. I have web hosting now, so I can post the pic if needed.

Last edited:

snowwie

nah
you don't need the foam shim thingy
I took mine off (this was a 845PE board) and it's fine

the intel NB cores aren't THAT brittle