• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good 19 inch monitor for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

el

i have the older 955df and it is very nice at a good price! I now have dual samsungs!!!

12am

if geometry color prescision and brightness are your thing, then get a viewsonic, as they are extremely hard to beat at those things. Be warned as viewsonics do die early deaths (4 years tops). If you want a monitor that is going to last head for the samsungs or nec's out there. However samsung has color and geometry problems, while nec's tend to have sharpness problems.

12am

meh, to each there own :) I got sick of playing on a 19" and that's why I've dreamed of a 21" for years, now the dream has come true.

Mr.Guvernment

yes - 19' = more screen space - usually higher resolutions = more detail :D - really helps when your a sniper :d

[email protected]

Try to get one of those perfect flat monitors. I have a KDS 19" monitor. Supports 75Hz at 1600x1200. I run it at 1280x1024 @ 85Hs. The thing's f*cking gold. No problems, nice size, and the perfect flat screen makes it look bigger. I love it. I suggest something that can do at least 85Hs on a high resolution. The one you have in mind is nice...

Mr.Guvernment

i got the Dell p992 - is a 19' trinitron - does 1600 x 1200 85mhz - do love it but want bigger res now!

OP
copernicus

copernicus

thnx for the input everyone :) looks i'll be going with that one seem's to be the best one at that price. optimal res is [email protected] which is what i use now. and the dot pitch is 0.22

Hookem

I think the most important aspect of a CRT is that it is aperature grill...Not shadow mask.

Usually much higher refresh rates and a much brighter picture.

smitjel

Registered
copernicus said:
thnx for the input everyone :) looks i'll be going with that one seem's to be the best one at that price. optimal res is [email protected] which is what i use now. and the dot pitch is 0.22
Good luck with that monitor. I just returned the Samsung 997DF thinking it was a (relatively) good monitor. Samsung touted the .20mm dot pitch but that's only the horizontal. Diagonal is what matters. The 997DF is also a shadow mask which for some reason looked grainy to me. The whole time, I was comparing this 19" Samsung to my old Gateway VX700 (.25mm aperture grille dot pitch, 17") that I've had since '98 and I was happy to take that Samsung back and wait for something better. I'm not sure if the one you're looking at is a shadow mask or not but the aperture grille I have is a lot more vivid and sharp...I was very surprised at the difference. And the 950B looks even cheaper (price and quality) than the 997DF. I'd keep looking dude. Afterall, you get what you pay for.

The Dell P992 is an awesome monitor as I use the P793 at work...good stuff.

Calculusaurus

12am said:
if geometry color prescision and brightness are your thing, then get a viewsonic, as they are extremely hard to beat at those things. Be warned as viewsonics do die early deaths (4 years tops). If you want a monitor that is going to last head for the samsungs or nec's out there. However samsung has color and geometry problems, while nec's tend to have sharpness problems.

Everything said here agrees with the countless reviews and articles I have read, thus I second 12am's statements.

I recently purchased the Samsung 955df for a good price ($180). The geometry problems were so subtle that they weren't anything to be concerned about (however, geometry problems get worse over time). While a tad less vibrant than the Viewsonic price-equivelant, the exterior design of the monitor is much sleeker looking, which is important to me.

After 1.5 months of use, I ran into a very critical brightness problem. Right now, my brightness is set to 0, video card color brightness controls are set below default, and I'm still blinding my eyes just typing this (thank god ocforums has uses a black background). I got a defective monitor, but this same thing happens to Sony's, NEC's, and Viewsonics too :p

Anyway, save for the recent problem, my 955df has been spectacular for gaming.