• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good enough PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheDarkMustang

I'm thinking of getting a new PC.

Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 240 AM3 2.8GHz

4GB RAM

Club3D GeForce 9500GT 512MB

Would this run FALLOUT 3 flawlessly?

J-O_S-H

Hi There!

First off... Welcome! to the Forums. :welcome:

To be perfectly honest I do not think that setup will run Fallout 3 "flawlessly".

It will likely play it (after looking at the specs for game) but only at lower settings.

Depending on you resolution you may have problems trying to run the game with even medium settings.

Is this a custom build or are you looking buying a premade system?

If you want to play this game smoothly with decent settings I would reccommend a Phenom II, Core 2 Duo/Quad or i5/i7

You will also need a better GPU such as a GTX260, HD4890 or better.

I'm by no means an expert and really don't like Fallout 3 but if i'm wrong i'm sure someone will be nice enough to correct me xD

WayOut

What a game Fallout 3 is. Great choice.
Well, lemme see. I ran this game vanilla (ie. no mods, no tweaks) on ultra high, everything running well at about 60 FPS on my 512mb GTS250, which isn't much better than your card. It's not the most taxing game
as far as your CPU is concerned so you should be fine there, but I'm guessing vanilla you'll get good playability on Medium.
With mods, I had about 15 texture mods, 3 overhaul mods, 25 item
mods, and 30-some other mods, I was chuggin'. I'm estimating about 35FPS indoors, like in my Megaton house, and like 25FPS when running around the wasteland. In combat (I had MMM on with extra-extra increased spawns on, I would dip as low as single-digits and crash a lot. But I think that was an incompatability problem and not a GPU problem - it ran like **** on Low too.
Yeah, anyway, you should get a constant 60FPS on medium. Good luck! :)

OP
T

TheDarkMustang

@J-O_S-H
I think I went too far by saying "flawlessly". I'm not really looking to run it flawlessly in terms of bugs and crashes. I just wanna get decent framerate.

I don't really know much about custom builds so I was thinking of a premade system. Although I have a guy who can make a custom build for me.

I'm not really sure what CPU this is...the one I posted.

@WayOut
My old specs are Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS 268mb, 1.50 GB RAM and it runs decently with textures on high, shadows and grass off, HDR and resolution on 800x600. 10-60 FPS indoors and 7-30 FPS outdoors. I also have the MMM extra-extra increased spawns on and the game is still highly playable.

Thank you all for such great help! More opinions are still welcome!
It's nice to see your specs on your sigs. That already helps me alot.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
ANy system will likely run it flawlessly as you defined it (no bugs and crashes), but in order for you to get decent fps, you will need a higher spec'd vidoecard. Whats your total budget and what parts do you need? Any parts from the old moving to the new?

OP
T

TheDarkMustang

I'm still under-aged so there's no special budget. Just looking for recommendations. So all are welcome.
I'm looking for something with Dual Core. A good enough video card to run FALLOUT 3 decently on high(20-60 FPS is ok). And how much RAM is enough nowadays?

Chixofnix

I'm still under-aged so there's no special budget. Just looking for recommendations. So all are welcome.
I'm looking for something with Dual Core. A good enough video card to run FALLOUT 3 decently on high(20-60 FPS is ok). And how much RAM is enough nowadays?

Start with your video card:
  • What is the native resolution of your LCD (<-- assumption) monitor?
  • What does "flawlessly" mean in terms of graphical settings to you?
Give those questions a consideration, then read this article in its entirety:
http://www.techspot.com/article/125-fallout3-performance/

Once you've decided what sort of "oomph" you need in terms of video card, head over to this list and copy all cards listed in the same vicinity the "chosen oomph" card.

Now do some shopping to compare these to determine your minimum budget for video card.

Everything else falls into place according to the overall budget remaining after the video card.

• Plan for 2x2Gb of RAM to cover nearly all gaming situations today.
  • Plan on at least dual core, and consider 3 and 4 core processors if budget allows, as you can realize noticeable gains (in certain cases today, more in the future) for gaming.
  • Allow some budget for a quality PSU if the chosen video card/system warrants it.

WayOut

Right, I'm running on 1680x1050 (native res) and getting 60FPS maxed out, so if you're running at 800x600, tell you the truth, you would get similar performance to me just because you're at roughly half the resolution of me. I'd try maxing it out, if it runs well then go somewhere that's very taxing on your CPU/GPU (ie. Raven Rock after a certain point, not gonna spoil anything for you if you haven't gotten that far :)) and see how it performs there. If you're not getting a slideshow at that point, then you should be absolutely fine running Fallout maxed out.

p.s. You could also go to Rivet City, walk into the market and then back out; that is one of the slowest places in the game because it has to load so much at one time (water, buildings, backdrops, monsters, plus there's almost always a Talon Company attack around there, at least on my save) that will really tax your components. I'd try there if you're not yet at Raven Rock. There's no penalty for trying to achieve a higher graphics level than your card can run efficiently, so just play around until you find something that works. Good luck! :)

Petmyhat

Registered
I'm thinking of getting a new PC.

Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 240 AM3 2.8GHz

4GB RAM

Club3D GeForce 9500GT 512MB

Would this run FALLOUT 3 flawlessly?

oh yes deffinetly, low maybe medium settings with a decent resolution will run just fine. i ran it on low, on my passively cooled 7600GS, Pentium 4 & 2GB Ram just fine, and that's pretty much an outdated system. the oblivion engine is great!

tinymouse2

The setup you've suggested will play it flawlessly on low, medium at a stretch.

You should be looking at the i5 right about now. VERY good value for money and amazing performance! If your looking for a budget PC (what your rig suggests) then core 2 is VERY cheap right about now since i5 is dominating it! (6.9GHz on an i5) Also go with a GTX 250/4850 or greater to play Fallout 3 on max graphics with a nice smooth framerate.
I'm an Intel fanboy but don't mind about graphics cards.
Also the one thing that you should NEVER spare money on is the power supply. Should be about the same price as a graphics card if not more (for the 250 for example)

And underage for what? Your never to young to use a computer =P

Chixofnix

@ All:
This thread is attracting a lot of well meaning, but "fuzzy" advice...

Claiming "High/Low/Medium" settings will work "well/adequately/flawlessly" without specifying a specific resolution ("decent" doesn't count) for context is of little use and is potentially misleading to the OP.

@ TheDarkMustang:
As I've suggested above, for your own research, start with the native resolution of your display, or else that which you would like to play at and accept stretching/scaling. If your display is 1900x1200, then you will have drastically different hardware requirements than 800x600 to get the same performance level. Of note: native resolutions will always appear drastically sharper/prettier than a stretched image for LCD displays.

Best of luck, game on! :)