• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good graphic card to use for capture and edit video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hotlove

Registered
Hi folks..

Which graphic card do U folks recommend to use for capture and edit video ???

I am looking at ATI ALL-IN-WONDERS 8500 model.
It in my bugget.

Any recommendation ?

Thanks,

Hotlove

Yeah that's a great card, I've had one for about a year. If you are a gamer it is a fairly decent card but keep in mind that the AIW8500dv is clocked at 230/190 and the AIW8500 128MB is clocked at 275/275. If you are into the newer games it may be worth while to get the 128MB version for the extra 3D power.

If you are not a gamer then even an AIW 9000 would be good enough (a 9000 is not as good at gaming as a 8500 is).

Ive been using the AIW 8500DV on my everyday rig and have no complants + thay have dropped in price since i got it, not too bad for gaming eirther.

I have an AIW 8500 with 128 Megs and it is an awesome card. Using Radeonater I've OC'd it from 275 to 325 w/ no problems. I even ran it at 350 for a while, but it would crash after an extended 3D session.

What does a high end graphics card do for video editing? Besides the firewire port on some of those, as well as certainly being faster than a PCI card and having more memory, what do they do? Would a person be able to notice the difference between, say, a Radeon (original), and a 9700?

Thanks

Z

Well I assume you read what I said in the GPU as a second processor thread since you posted after me, so that would be one thing and it is exclusive to DX9 and up cards (although it can be done with any DX9 card, even the non AIWs or an nvidia).

Other then that there are small differences between the AIW cards; as you mentioned the AIW 8500s have a firewire port, the AIW8500s have a digital TV tuner(not for use with digital cable... it is supposed to tune in pictures faster and have a few minor benefits but the AIW9700 went back to an analog tuner since the digital one ran too hot), all of the old AIW cards used the original rage theater chip while the AIW 9700 and AIW 9000 use the theater 200 chip, the AIW 9700 (and 9000?) have a built in hardware MPEG encoder/decoder called the "cobra" and the AIW 8500 and better have something called video soap which helps to clean up cable feeds by applying fiilters in real time (see that anandtech review I posted in the other thread for good pictures of what it does).

Make no mistake about it the newer AIW's have a few small benefits over the old ones but the main reason to get an AIW 8500 or AIW 9700 over an AIW 7500 is gaming performance, there is no signifigant video editing reason to do so unless the DX9 pixel shaders being used to add effects in real time is a must have (and you have the software to do it).

Yea, I figured there weren't too many advantages for video editing . . . I was only asking about video editing characteristics. If they want to game with the card, they certainly shouldn't go below an 8500. I really want the AIW9700. Too bad I splurged for the 9500NP, so I can't logically get the AIW. Are they going to release a TV Tuner card like the TV Wonder VE with the Theatre200 (is that the new one?) chip? I really want the newer features. The TV Wonder VE I have isn't excellent by any means, although it works well enough to archive the Simpsons. I know there are plenty of gaming benefits to the newer cards. I was just sorta' thinking that there was somehow a benefit with video editing with the newer cards, and I couldn't figure out how that worked, as editing doesn't have to do with the video hardware . . .

Z

Yeah the theater 200 is the new chip but I don't know a whole lot about the TV wonder series. AFAIK the TV wonder was just quietly replaced with a newer model but I am not sure that the new one is any better then the old one - it was probably just cheaper to make or something since there was no big annoucment that I can remember.

I found a chart on ATi.com that shows which chip is used for the video in/out on all of the cards they make (TV wonders, AIWs and regular video cards). According to the chart the TV wonder doesn't use the rage theater chip (called 'theater' in the chart) for video in, which leads me to believe that they don't have the theater chip on the TV wonders but I am not certain. It is possible that the new model of TV wonder uses the theater 200 chip to reduce costs (if all hardware uses the same chip it's cheaper then making the old chip for just one product) but I really don't know and either way I doubt there would be any benefit.

You can read the chart here. The picture quality on my AIW is good, as is captured video. I capture at 720x480 and I hear there may be some problems capturing at higher resolutions with the TV wonder series (see here) which may be why you aren't hapy with the quality.

I'm just using it to record the Simpsons off of TV. Since antenna TV isn't that good, I doubt I'm losing that much by using this card as apposed to something else.

Z

Back