• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good HSF for P4 3.0E?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeKiZeRo

Registered
Hi,
I know the P4 3.0E runs hot, but I didn't know it ran that hot. My asus probe shows 47C for the CPU temperature. Can anyone recommend me a good HSF that's farely quiet that would keep my temps a little bit lower? My CPU fan RPM is like at 3500-4000 right now.

magick_man

Forum Magician
well the one most people will recommend will be the thermalright sp-94 with a mid-high cfm fan on top of it.
linky
or there is the coolermaster hyper6 which has been said to slightly edge out infront of the sp-94
linky
with 1 or 2 80mm fans of your choice

~Magick_Man~

OP
T

TeKiZeRo

Registered
What would be a good fan to put on top of that? Something that is almost as quiet as the retail P4 fan.

mtb856

Hey Tekizero, be advised that a low rpm fan won't cool the Prescott as much as you probably would like. Try looking for a 92mm fan that is around 38dB... that's pretty quiet b/c my HSF is 43dB and it's not that loud at all. Here's a fan that's about what you're looking for if you want good cooling but don't want the noise that goes along with it LINK

If it's a little more expensive that what you wanted, then you might try a Panaflo H1B or something like it.

BTW, would you mind putting your system and temps in your sig. For temps, all we need is cpu (idle and load), case, and ambient at the time of the measurement. Thanks :)

OP
T

TeKiZeRo

Registered
When does the XP120 come out? And where can I find out Prescott temps with a SP94?

jlin453

TeKiZeRo said:
When does the XP120 come out? And where can I find out Prescott temps with a SP94?

Well you won't find temps that are set in stone and gauranteed for your Prescott if you use a SP94. Like everything else in overclocking, your mileage may vary. When you look at other people's temperatures, you have to consider their case/fans/setup/room temperature/where they live, etc etc etc etc.

What you can find through a search is how a lot of people recommend the SP94 and how many people get lower temps with this than a lot of other heatsinks.

mtb856

Well, your processor at stock speeds puts out 89W of heat... now if I can only remember what formula could figure out what your temps would be apprx.....hmmmm. Maybe someone else can use this information to figure it out.

Alternatively, read this and look at this information
overclockers.com said:
The relative rankings in this table indicate the difference, in degrees Centigrade, among the CPU cooling options tested. For example, at 100 watts, the difference between Swiftech's MCX462 and the Millennium Glaciator is three degrees C; at 50 watts, 1 ½ C, and so on. Closely ranked heatsinks may, in fact, show little or no difference, or even reverse positions, when compared in a specific system and especially at heat loadings of 50 watts or less.

Now, the C/W rating of the SP-94 is .14 , meaning that for a cpu producing 100W of heat, the difference between your case temp and your cpu temp would be 14°C. Take a look at the difference between your cpu temp (load temps) and case temp... and then compare the 2 C/W ratings. Like the quote above, the difference will apprx. be the change in temps you should expect from using the SP-94. An oc'ed Prescott would be producing close to 100W, so you can reasonably guess your temps this way.

Notice that the C/W rating of a HS can be changed... archilochus has a C/W rating of .10 on his b/c of his clean setup :clap: something to strive for if you're crazy about low temps like the rest of us :D Anyway, hope this answers your question.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
To calculate what to expect for other CPUs, for every watt the CPU radiates, the heatsink will cool the core by the (C/W x watts) plus ambient temp. For example, at a fan inlet temp of 25 C, a C/W of 0.25 with a CPU radiating 50 watts means that the CPU temp will be 50 x 0.25 = 12.5 C over ambient temp, or 37.5 C.

SOURCE LINK

Last, remember that in-socket thermistors are not accurate measures of CPU temps. Every heatsink affects an in-socket thermistor differently, as does airflow over the motherboard. There is no consistency between motherboards as well. At a minimum, you can factor +/- 5 C to these temps.

Removing the fan grids from the case is a good place to start..:)

92mm_Edition-0540.gif

please don't quote my pic.:)

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Wow, I am very impressed. What kind of heatsink is that under the shroud?

MOBYDICK
Intel-2.4c-HT @ 3.1 /SP-94 w/ Delta 92mm HHE* FIC-865PE-Max
Corsair 1x 512 xms 3200LL-PT /Radeon 9200
30g.Maxtor.ATA:100
Xaser III.v1000D FULL LOAD Temp 36°C / Syst. temp 23°C Ambient 20°C (room temp)
FOLDING TEAM 32

SP-94 HS with a Delta 92mm HHE and AS 5...:) See link below, to see changes made to case since Nov. 03

CLICK HERE :thup:

corebreach

Registered
I have a 2.8E prescott at stock speed (Vcore 'auto' (1.3v)) and what I've observed is that the case airflow is as important as the cooler. I can get temps of 38 idle with 2 rear, 1 front, 1 side, and 1 top 80mm fan in my Xaser III using the Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu cooler. When I set the Vcore to a fixed 1.3, temps sometimes drop to 33. I don't know how different the 3.0E is thermally though.

BTW the Zalman is undetectably quiet. :)