• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good OC'able dual MP boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmytp

Does anyone know a good dual athlon board to OC? I have a Tyan Thunder K7, and I can't do anything with the board. All the OC'ing is done using bridges(see sig for details). The MSI K7D Master has a single 100/133 FSB jumper, Asus has adjustable voltage and FSB, Gigabyte didn't have much info and the manual was not available online. Asus sounds pretty tweakable, so it looks like the best bet right now, but is there anything else to look at? Any one have any experience with any of these? I want core multiplier control from the Bios. Don't hold my breath, right?

Last edited:
I myself am just about ot purchase an Asus dual board, i looked at all the other boards and found this was the most tweaky friendly. I was quirked to notice the power rate on it, 400 watts, compared to 300 for some others. As far multipliers, humm... it appears im unable to connect to asus, ill get back to you
But a pair of xo1600s hold immense o/c ing potential ive heard. Are you watercoolin it? Bc i am unable to tell if 2 ax7s will work

I don't know much about ax7's, but I would look to WC'ing regardless. That's just me. Yeah, I'm liqui-cool. As soon as I got this board and had temps in the mid !!!70's!!! and overheated a few times, it went to water cooling without a second thought(with a 12" window fan strapped to the side of the case in the meantime). They're pretty steady between 26-30C with the bong and 2 maze-2's now. I have some of the earliest 1.2 MP's, and they run really hot and can't OC very well. That's what I get for wanting to be the first on my block... I am trying to figure out how to dump this board and cpu's for newer stuff so as to have something more fun to play with. I would settle to just switch chips, unlocking isn't too hard with the right tools and the k7 is a nice board. I want more FSB though :( If you want to get more out of those chips, go water. If you do decide to go that route, I'd be glad to give you more info on my dually setup, pro's and con's kind of stuff. Thanks for the input on the board, let me know how it turns out.

considering i plunked down about as much as GF4 top o line for cooling, my dads forcin me to use the new cooling. But heard that MSI came out with a new board, looks nice but little oc potential. Just saw A7M266-d manual, it supports volatges, fsb and sadly no multi settings.

on your watercooling, just saw that in your message, what all is your setup like, what kind of pumps and such and construction did you use? i have a sx1030 (chenming) and am willing to mod the geezers out of it. any and all suggestions and ideas would be nice

I just did a quick search on this subject and turned up a thread just beneath this one. The author put a lot of work into it and although he only compares two of the available boards, there is a lot of useful information in it. I'm certain that if you did a bit of research in these forums, you would turn up quite a bit of information on this subject.

There's a feature built into this forum to help you with this. At the top of the page there is a link that will perform a search of the archives for you so you (nor anyone else) has to do it one by one.

By the way, I have a Tyan 2460 MP, good stable board but no overclocking features.

Good Luck!

I don't have much time, so I'll run through this quick. I went with 2 danger den maze2-2's in series, with a 5 ft., 8" PVC bong with a 5 gal. res. The tubes run into the case through a faceplate with holes in it. I think I would have liked to drill holes in the side for the tubes, it would be easier to work with in the case, but the side plate slides all the way off, so it would have been awkward. Or maybe lower in the front. I should give it more thought either way. Then I cut out a hole in the top(exhaust) and front(intake) for 120mm fans. I really wish I had a camera. Oh well. The pump is a danner pond master 1.9, $35. I don't remember for sure, but I think it puts out about 60-80 gph@5 ft. I would go bigger and maybe with a different brand. The pump went out last week, but I have the replacement impeller already, so I am less ****ed off now. I was freakin' out when I woke up to silence, FREAKIN' OUT! Make sure your board shuts down if things get too hot, either from bios or temp mon. software. FREAKIN' OUT! I also cut the back out of the case above the PS to mount 2 80mm exhausts. I have a lot of exhaust cause I haven't had time to put the final hole in the case for a 120mm that will blow in on the board over the northbridge. When that's in, it should balance airflow, with a little more exhaust than intake. With the adjustable fans though, I just cut back on the exhausts and crank the intake. I added a 40mm fan on the northbridge HS, but I would like to take off the HS and come up with my own cooling solution(and make sure there is grease and good contact down there). Also, there is now a hole on the MB tray behind either CPU with a little 50mm fan blowing on the bottom of the board. I figured it couldn't hurt to get a little air flow on the bottom too. There's an 8 rheostat fan control array on the front of the case now too. You can never have enough fan control. I would start simple, but keep the future in mind. Had I thought that maybe that 1 ft. would actually turn into a 5 ft. bong, I would have spent the $15-25 more for a better pump, or at least looked harder for a better pump in the same price range. The main thing I wish I would have done for everything is post my idea's before I did it, just to get some feedback. I started coming here after I was done with two machines. Doing it all in a vacuum like I did, I had to do it to find out whether it was a stupid idea or not. Which is good cause I learned a lot, but bad cause I wasted a lot of time and money. Wow, that wasn't short at all. Hope it gives you some background or some ideas. And yeah, the MSI sucks for tweakability, so the Asus looks like the top contender for now. I would like to see some article's on what's to come in the near future for boards and to see what is in the future with the t-bred and hammer series coming out. I am going dually hammer next(unless the horizon is brighter when the day comes), I wonder how long a wait it will be. I waited 2 years for the dually athlon.

Thanks Frank, but I have read that thread. I even linked to it in the first post. I did some searching too, here and elsewhere, that's where the links and info come from in the first post, but couldn't put too much more time into it. I was trying to get names of other boards more than anything else. I don't mind researching it, I just couldn't find it. I found 4 manufacturers and 5-6 boards, but only the Asus has much potential. Are there any others out there I am missing? It took a while to come up with those 5 as it was. I also had a hard time finding info on boards soon to come out, so I was probing to find out if anyone has heard anything. I have neglected to check out socketA.com for a while though, something might be there. That thread does answer my question about experience with any boards though. It really sold me on Asus. I heard that the Tiger could be adjusted with software, have you (or anyone else) heard that? Have you tried it if you have? I thought it sounded a little fishy, but if I had the tiger I would have looked into it for a while. Have you OC'ed it at all, through bridges? My Tyan is a really stable, reliable board too, but it was never meant to go faster than the posted limit :( Those were hard fought 66 MHz on each chip(see sig)

QUOTE:
have some of the earliest 1.2 MP's, and they run really hot and can't OC very well. That's what I get for wanting to be the first on my block...

LOL the MP from the start is a cooler running processor than any other AMD processor ever made what is with this comment ?

QUOTE:
By the way, I have a Tyan 2460 MP, good stable board but no overclocking features.

mY Tyan s 2460 REV 3 Overclocks well I am at 11.5x140
There are also some great Memory tweaks for the board as well

I've got a couple Asus MPXs, one runs on 150MHz bus and the other on a 155MHz bus. Both run XP1600s as I felt that was the best FSB to multiplier ratio for overclocking. Volt mod was needed on both boards though.

Gigabyte's allows multiplier changing but bus speeds only to 150MHz. Still may be worth it though.

diehrd said:
LOL the MP from the start is a cooler running processor than any other AMD processor ever made what is with this comment ?

mY Tyan s 2460 REV 3 Overclocks well I am at 11.5x140
There are also some great Memory tweaks for the board as well [/B]

diehrd, I just meant the current chips are running cooler and are more OC'able, even if the early MP's do run cooler than other AMD's. Mine were at best 50C idle with air, no OC, that's hot enough for me. What are you using to tweak your FSB?

I am using CPU FSB The PLL is { Tyan 9248-153 }

Also I am using 2 XP 1800 oced and my temps are 41c max load with quiet 30cfm heat sink fans on the SK6 heatsink...

If you are running hot redo the cooling system and if you install ducts like I did you can run quiet fans and get awsom low temps.

SEE PIC !

I saw the run through of how you built that, pretty good looking piece of work. I am liqui-cool right now(sig), and I never see temps above 30C anymore, usually 26-29C. I still can't OC though. They are from too early in the MP chip technology I think. Someone posted a response to a question I had asked, and they thought the same.

Back