• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good PSU @ low price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hc000

I ran prime95 last night and it gave me errors, after reading the stress.txt it said one of the problems might because of too low watts on the power supply, and i did notice my voltages dropping when i ran it.... i have read some of the other posts about what power supply to buy, BUT they are all too expensive. $150 for a power supply is way too much, i was thinking in the range of $35-$50 ? a good one must be at least 350-400W if you guys know a good PS in that price range please let me know :) thanks

spazzkid

u kud get a HEC (herouichi) 475 watts (like the one on my sig) for that price. it has stable voltages, high amp ratings and such. its also one of the recommended psu's of (eek) Toms Hardware Guide.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I spent about $90 on the psu in my water cooled workstation/primo pc/fastest rig.

I usually spend $20 each on the power supplies in my Farm rigs.

Personally, I swear by [ducking because things will be thrown at me soon]CompUSA's units for the low end stuff!
I have 5 or 6 of them running now, most in pretty heavily overclocked rigs:D

BUT- for a Primo, Number 1- type machine I would not skimp on the power supply: it is one of the most important parts of a computer, ESPECIALLY if you are overclocking!

A great chip will do nothing if the motherboard and power supply are not good enough; in fact, I think they are more important than a great chip!

Most of mine have been just average overclockers, but I have gotten some excellent overclocks out of them with great motherboards and a great power supply.

Just my opinion.

OP
H

Hc000

I saw the Fortron 350w psu for $38 and only one website that sells it.. do you guys know a better deal ? maybe a different place to buy it ?

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
I wont throw anything at Roger but I will agree with him. I have a 400w compusa in the rig in my sig and right now it is at 182fsb 1.9v. Havent seen the v12 or v5 lines drop yet. They are at 12.02 and 5.05. The cost is a little out of your desired price but not too much at 69.00. Also I agree with the others here that you should not skimp on the PSU. THG may have givin some good reviews but how long have they been running those PSU's? Ive had mine for about 5 months and it is as strong as the day I bought it. Save a few more bucks and get a PSU known for quality.

larrymoencurly

I saw three different makes of 400W PSUs at CompUSA, a chromed one, a colored one (maybe aluminum), and a plain painted steel one. The latter was a Powmax, AKA Leadman, whose 500W PSU konked out at about 425W in Tom's test. The 500W CompUSA PSU was also a Powmax.

nut581

I'm using this 450 PSU that comes with the case for $43 shipped
Link

it's Rhycon, and it never gives me any trouble whatsover :) .. I run a pretty heavy rig w/ 12 fans, GF4TI4200, Athlon XP 1800+, and 2 ATA133 HDs :D , and it's stable as hell :) .. never goes below 4.92V on +5V line.

larrymoencurly

If the model number starts with "FSP" then it's Fortron-Source-Powerman, the makers of Sparkle, Verax, Conrad, and PC Power & Cooling (but PCP&C designs may be slightly different).

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
spazzkid said:
u kud get a HEC (herouichi) 475 watts (like the one on my sig) for that price. it has stable voltages, high amp ratings and such. its also one of the recommended psu's of (eek) Toms Hardware Guide.

HEC is a fine PSU, they are solid workhorses, I bought a couple in the Newegg refurb section for $19 ea.

spazzkid

i agree silversink. volts are not really stellar, still within tolerance, might be due to my epox board with bad power regulation. simply put, its a good cheap psu with good quality. :D

madsam

i'm using the TTGI TT-520SS EPS, and it seems stable and powerful. it's more than your price range, but i paid 88 bucks, and it compares to 150 dollar psu's. there is the non EPS version for 78 dollars too. the EPS version has an extra connector for upcoming motherboards, but is not neccesary now.

the link to the review is here: http://xtreme.routehero.com/mricee/images/myweb6/ttgi_review_1.htm
and can be bought from directron.com, using the link on the review.

i think this psu ranks with the best, and cost much less. it's 520watts, has 3 fans, which are speed adjustable with a 3 postion swith..auto/middle/low. and it has a single trim pot to adjust the 5&12 volt rails. it has the longest cables i've seen on a psu, and an very ample amount of connectors. as far as the performance, this psu gives me an extra 50mhz+ on any cpu i've tested with it, and i run prime95 stable like never before. my cheap 400 watt psu was holding back my o/c and my stability. i was sad when it died, but i'm glad it did, or i wouldn't have looked around and found this great psu, at a nice price.:beer: :burn: :burn: :burn:

larva

Inactive Moderator
advanR said:
Im pretty sure the fortron PSU is made by sparkle.

Close, Fortron makes the Sparkle. Sparkle is a wholey owned subsidiary of FSP (Fortron Sourse Power). Any supply with a FSP part number is a Fortron unit, and of generally high quality. The only weak FSP's I see these days are the Acer OEM power supplies.

The units sold by directron under the FSP name and the ones sold as Sparkle by newegg are stout, stout, stout, and cheap to boot. The Fortron 350W for 38 dollars at directron produces the highest value in a power supply, closely followed by the (essentially identical) Sparkle 350 that is $42 at newegg. These supplies have a 3.3+5V output of 220W and a tested total output of 450W. There are other good supplies out there, but nothing else in this price range even remotely compares to the performance and quality of the FSP made units, which rival the best available at any price.