• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Reason to NOT Mod your video card!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my ti4600 died, and is being rma'd now. i have a gf3 ti200 that im borrowing from a friend till i get mine back. its 170/400 stock. i can complete 3dmark at 250/535. he has a crystal orb and those bga (that right?) ram sinks. the tin coated copper ones. its a sweet looking card. i know i can get more core out of it, but the oc'inc utility it came with maxes out at 250. maybe ill try riva tuner, but i dont want to fry someone elses card =0 . but i did get 9570 on 3dmark with it, so oc'ing it did help a bit.

radadman said:

Buy a dell? What the heck are you doing on this forum? Ya must work for them, either that or you never had a good PC to begin with!

huh? If your not gonna go through the trouble of making your stuff the best, you might as well buy a dell. why? because if your complaing about wasting time and effort on a computer then you don't care about the small joys and results you get. So if you buy a dell you don't have to put any effort into it and don't have to "waste" your time.

Computers take up time, if you don't like to spend time on them, simply don't do it, there are alternatives, dell, gateway, that's what people who don't want to spend any time on computers learning about them and putting them together etc. If you like to do that stuff, then don't say it was a "waste" of time, hell I love modding my stuff, even if it produces something as small as looks!

C'mon guys, lets all play nice :D

As for me, I do want to make my GeForce 2 MX 400 into a GF4:D:D

What do I solder where- and can I use a pot so that I can adjust voltage while running?

Its fun adjusting 5v and ram voltage, and watching MBM change;)

dells are great computers, not the fastest on earth but all you have to do is set thim up. They come with all the drivers, software, any conflects already taken care of and are ready for you to install your favorite games. Yes they are about double the cost of a system that you can make but they do have a nice warranty and are VERY quiet.

I'm not going to do this right now. I don't have money to buy a replacement if I mess up the card and I really can't be bothered as it performs incredibly well as it is...

well here's another reason NOT to mod your vid card: when removing heatsinks from card to make room for 40-something dollar waterblock, DO NOT pull sideways on sinks... they shear those tiny little caps right of the back of the card...my gainward ti4400 LOOKED real sweet with the waterblock and oversized ramsinks, but i'm afraid to try putting it back in ad seeing if it works after scraping a component off... YOUR card at least still works for sure...lol

AZN said:

comon yodums its only 2 hrs I dont think he will jump off a bridge for that. besides, i think he needs more voltage and he should run alittle faster. shouldnt be to different from CPU right? higher clocks alittle more voltage ;)
I dont go nutz and try to turn my ti4400 into a TI5000 but it is running at TI4600 and im happy with that. and yes it doest make a difference ;) I can see better FPS and i dont think i've stressed the card to the point of meltdown.

AZN

Yes but my point is that you don't see a visual difference other than a counter on the screen telling you your FPS is higher. Or you can put it this way, I can sit you down in two seperate machines, one 2.5 GHz and one 2.75 GHz. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Heck, I don't even think anyone would notice a difference from 2 GHz to 3 GHz unless something like Sandra told you so. To me, it no high FPS benefits obviously and hardly any low fps benefit again bringing up that there will be no visual difference. I'm just rather cautious about playing around with video cards since they cost so much yet they are the fastest to outdate.... I would sacrifice some FPS for my warranty but again, that's just me.

Yodums

Yodums said:

Yes but my point is that you don't see a visual difference other than a counter on the screen telling you your FPS is higher. Or you can put it this way, I can sit you down in two seperate machines, one 2.5 GHz and one 2.75 GHz. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Heck, I don't even think anyone would notice a difference from 2 GHz to 3 GHz unless something like Sandra told you so. To me, it no high FPS benefits obviously and hardly any low fps benefit again bringing up that there will be no visual difference. I'm just rather cautious about playing around with video cards since they cost so much yet they are the fastest to outdate.... I would sacrifice some FPS for my warranty but again, that's just me.

Yodums
10mhz on the core for GPU with AA filtering can mean all the difference. in UT2003 when u FPS gets down to 30 u really start seeing the lag and if u hit 20 then forget about playing. 10mhz core may keep u in the 40FPS range which is what u want and higher ;)

AZN

You already modded that thing?!?!?! JEEZ!!!
Rob

**edit** As much as I hate to say it, we all know that some chips overclock really well and some do not. Perhaps you just got one that doesn't OC all that well.

Rob

Last edited:
Back