• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good software for buning H.264/MPEG-4 to DVD+R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With Windows DVD maker it is an all in one converter and maker yes. It forces you to make a menu (which I hate and strip off) but let's you burn straight to disk or I think save as an image file. Been a long time since I used it.

That
2 hour movies are usually stored on a dual layer DVD disc which is twice the size of a single layer disc. Single layer disc usually hold 60 minutes or so at maximum DVD quality of between 8100 kbps and slightly more than 9000 kbps, depending on which AUDIO compression is used.

When you decrease the video quality, you can fit more, but those are maximum numbers, if the video bitrate is too high, it will not be standard DVD compliant.

I was looking a my original movie DVDs and they are about 4.0GB of data so are they compressed on the DVD because when I rip them the data is doubled.

First of all, all standard DVDs are 'compressed' because single layer disc holds about 4482Mb whereas 'uncompressed' Blu-rays hold tens of GB.

To make a 100%, 1:1 copy of a standard DVD, you the VIDEO_TS folder sizes on the disc and on the hard drive should be the same.

If they are not, you converted files, not copied them. You don't get twice the quality by having twice bigger files than the original already compressed source.

So you did not make a 1:1 transfer if VIDEO_TS folder sizes are not similar or the same.

Your software sucks or you did not configure it correctly.
The (only) **Official** freeware site: http://www.dvdshrink.org/

To have a 1:1 transfer, make sure there is no additional compression in settings.

Because just like there was a time when someone seeing you having a cell phone was like someone seeing you driving a Ferrari today, there was a time when we made DVD collections in the old days and they are useful today because we can watch them in rooms with no internet access and in cars with DVDs in them and no internet access. I could see how someone new and young would not be messing with DVDs however, although grandma and kids rooms still have those old DVD players and nothing else.

I believe I am much older than you think. LOL

Anyway, I'll leave this thread alone. Enjoy your DVD's wingman99. To each his own, I was merely curious as I hate the idea of having a ton of DVD's.

Sorry Twiggz, I didn't mean to come off that way.

There are about fifty or so movies ever that I really wanted to own. Plus another thirty that I don't mind having. Hope that makes sense.

Why do you use a dual layer DVD for 2 hour movie?

Because its size is more than 4482MB and cannot fit on a single layer DVD unless you compress it down to under 4482MB.

I believe I am much older than you think. LOL

Anyway, I'll leave this thread alone. Enjoy your DVD's wingman99. To each his own, I was merely curious as I hate the idea of having a ton of DVD's.
Ware do you stream your movies from?

My server that I made (sig). I setup a free DNS name to my external IP, then setup an automatic script to update my external to that DNS name incase it should change. Now, I hit it on a browser and bring up a simple webpage and stream my content, It's all based off of xbmc so I have thumbnails, movie info to look at, the whole nine yards.

I can use my IPhone, Kindle Fire, Any Computer, Xbox 360, Xbox One (just have to just push it from the iPhone with skifta app). It's great. You can use your home network, or a data plan on the road, or a wifi-hotspot, whatever.

Wow, that's very useful and smart way to go.

There are places where neither internet connection not anything other than a DVD player is available and it is for those that I would still like to have my collection available in physical form - but I completely agree about how convenient and useful your setup is.

Wow, that's very useful and smart way to go.

There are places where neither internet connection not anything other than a DVD player is available and it is for those that I would still like to have my collection available in physical form - but I completely agree about how convenient and useful your setup is.

I mean don't get me wrong I have my fair share of DVD's :)

I just ripped them all. So that I could do this.

I have mine in physical form and also my entire edited preview-free movie collection is on an external hard drive so that I can take the external drive with me wherever I go and also watch them directly from there because my computer is connected to the big screen Plasma TV.

It would be a quick automated step for me to get from external drive to where you are.

Yea, go ahead do it :)

I don't suggest using the XBMC webserver default setup or even Chorus or AVI. They suck. You want something setup in apache or whatever that bypasses that.

Back