• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good speaker/sound card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lXlFUSElXl

I was wondering if this would be a good set up?

Speakers
Here

Sound Card
Here

I really didnt feel the urge to get audigy 2z's sine all the offer is my features and not anymore preformance upgrade.

ticktock123

Very good choice for the sound card...but if you game at all or just like to hear really good music...i woudl say to not go for more watts and 2 speakers becaseu the watts for a good part power the sub and that shouldn't be the only thing. i would say to try something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836116153
it isn't very much $86 and is the step up from what i have. i have 5.1 that is 7.1 and i would say that it sounds great! i love having the sound from all angles.

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3

creative audigy2 is good for games but not that great for music/movies

i think creative makes fine speakers and the logitech x-230s don't sound that good at all

if you only plan on getting 2.1 channel speakers, the Chaintech AV-710 is superior in sound quality and for around $25

EDIT: whoops i thought you linked the logitech 230s and not the 2300s, 2300s are far superior

Last edited:

rseven

I bagged my 5.1 system 2 years ago for a 2.1 because I had no place to put the back speakers to get a surround effect. I think the parts you've chosen will sound fine. Everyone has their own personal tastes in sound and it's really difficult to say what someone else will like. Good luck with whatever you pick.

grumperfish

I would say to avoid the creative Inspire speakers. My gf's roommate has them on her desktop (which I know is running a vanilla SB 2) and the tweeters sound weak and the bass is either muddy or underwhelming given the application. I have the z-2200's and the 2300's you've listed are based on the same subwoofer and hardware. The satellites are smaller on the 2300's though. If you're primarily interested in gaming I would say go with the Logitechs. The bass on that system is very strong down to low levels, and you'll never need to turn the volume above 1/3rd unless you want your ears to bleed.

As far as sound quality, the highs and lows are great, but the mids sound kind of weak in comparison without eq tweaking.

Last edited:

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
SOUNDSTICKSII.jpg

I like these 2.1 Harmon-Kardon Sound Sticks II my daughter bought at Costco. ~$100. They would go great with that inexpensive Chaintech AV-710.

Not high-end audiophile class, but sounded much cleaner than any of the Creative speakers I listened to over at Circuit City.

grumperfish

Actually, ignore most of what I wrote about the 2300's. Logitech put new satellites on them (I just listened to a friend's new set), and they've weakened the drivers and cut out the mids. The sub is essentially the same but I have no idea why they replaced the satellites.... although I'm sure profit margin had something to do with it.