• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good vid card for $100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paulsy

im looking to get a new video card for x-mas i was wondering wich would be a good card for about $100 us retail cause i dont have a credit card so i cant buy any thing online

funnyperson1

your best bet would be to check Best Buy and Compusa thanksgiving weekend to see if they have a radeon 8500/Geforce4 for that price

Henry Rollins II

Do you need to have a credit card to buy from an online store in the US?!? Dont u have Cash on Delivery over there?

And to your question: Radeon 8500le from any manufacturer will give best bang for your bucks. However I guess its gonna be hard to find it for a $100 unless you buy it online. :(

funnyperson1

Henry Rollins II said:

Hey funny dude I tried sending you a PM but it says your inbox is full!

sorry i keep deleting pms and then i get like 5 after that...also do sent pms count towards quota?

masitti

funnyperson1 said:

sorry i keep deleting pms and then i get like 5 after that...also do sent pms count towards quota?

Yes, they do. :)

I would go for a high end GeForce3... like the Ti200 (maybe a Ti500?) Runs all my games awesome, I get almost 7000 marks with 3d2001... it's a good deal. My card was $70.

OC Noob

Ouch, I can't imagine buying a vid card at best buy or compUSA or any retail outlet like that.

Talk about price gauging. I was at Fry's and looked at a Ti200 and almost soiled my shorts. They wanted almost $200! This was oly about 4 months ago!

Post this in the Cyber Deals forum and you might beable to get a Ti4200 or 8500le for close to that after a mail in rebate.

Good luck.

advanR

high end geforce 3. the ti200? chuckle chuckle. im pretty sure thats the slowest clocked gf3 you can get.

as for you paulsy. your pretty limited by not being able to order online. c'mon youve got to be able to figure out a way. have a friend do it.

Taylor

Yes definitely ording online is the only way to get the most for your money, even here in San Diego. I have a lot of options as far as local retail outlets, but still no way you can get the same deals as online. If you can get a friend or family memebr to make the deal for you, you have so many options it's not funny.

Obviously people are recommending either Radeon or Geforce cards; a quick look at preicewatch shows for $100 or less, the highest end card you could get (online) might be this oem Radeon 9000 pro 128 mb. The GeForce4 cards are a little more money. But I have a feeling in a store you can drive to and walk around in, for $100, you might not get as good a card.

funnyperson1

Taylor said:
Yes definitely ording online is the only way to get the most for your money, even here in San Diego. I have a lot of options as far as local retail outlets, but still no way you can get the same deals as online. If you can get a friend or family memebr to make the deal for you, you have so many options it's not funny.

Obviously people are recommending either Radeon or Geforce cards; a quick look at preicewatch shows for $100 or less, the highest end card you could get (online) might be this oem Radeon 9000 pro 128 mb. The GeForce4 cards are a little more money. But I have a feeling in a store you can drive to and walk around in, for $100, you might not get as good a card.

actually a Radeon 8500LE is faster than a 9000Pro

masitti

advanR said:
high end geforce 3. the ti200? chuckle chuckle. im pretty sure thats the slowest clocked gf3 you can get.

as for you paulsy. your pretty limited by not being able to order online. c'mon youve got to be able to figure out a way. have a friend do it.

Gainward GF3 Ti200 128 MB for $105... looking at the OC 3dmark team, they seem to be getting the best scores... :eh?:

Lord Thundar

Just bought a 64mb 8500LE from compUSA for $99 - didn't see the 128mb, or I would've picked that up instead. The cards a retail ATI (ie, Built by ATI brand) so its clocked at 275/275 (core/memory) by default, and will easily go to 300/300 w/o breaking a sweat. Anyway, with my duron @ 1333 (10*133) w/ AGP 4x and fast writes enabled and SDRAM (no DDR yet), I'm getting MadOnion 2k1 scrores of 6800 (that's with default 275/275 settings)...
Added bonus with the card was the DVI connector - the box outside said VGA/svideo only, but the actual card has VGA/svideo/DVI...

Matthew1001

If you cannot order online it will most likely cost you more. You are going to have to keep your eyes open in the stores to get the best deals. In addition to CompUSA and Best Buy there are many stores that carry video cards. Not only are there stores that only carry computer hardware, but also some of the office supply stores carry video cards.

attack

As everyones been saying get someone you know and use thier credit card, or get a money order or check! 8500le 128mb is under 100 and is BY FAR the best you can get in that range. a gf4 costs around 115 for a cheap one. the 8500 is faster then any gf3...(btw the ti200 is the slowest of all gf3's). Also you could check out classifieds here (if you don't have enough posts head over to anandtech and pickup a nice used card there, might even be able to get a gft ti4200 128 for 100 bucks who knows, just make sure they have plenty of heatware, if they don't have heat they ship first or don't trade.

masitti

ajrettke said:
(btw the ti200 is the slowest of all gf3's)

Ok, going off the basis that he can't spend more than $100... out of the GeForce line, the GF3 Ti200 is going to be his best bet.

Out of the Radeon line, it's the 8500 128 MB.

:argue:

funnyperson1

see if you can beg for an extra 30$, compusa has a PNY ti4200 for 130$....that may be worth your time :)