• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Chrome desperate for you to turn on Sync

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
WTF, maybe I don't want all my bookmarks and browsing history f-n splattered all over every device on my google account! What a nuisance, how does Google stand to profit from this? I've tried to turn this $h!t off many times, still somehow my search and browsing history show up on both my and my wife's phones, desktops, laptops...aaah!

Sorry for being emotional, I'm getting fed up with the current iteration of Web something-point-something just doing what THEY want, I'm used to computing doing what I say. :mad: aaah.gif

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Stop using Chrome?

I like the feature of everything being accessible on all my devices so I turn it on

BugFreak

Oh I feel your frustration. Every time it asks for that damn thing and I'm pretty close to giving up Chrome because of it. I used Firefox for years but it seems they wanted to get rid of users when they started taking features and support away then adding dumb things instead. Not sure what happen there but it was a shame.

Really over this bit of everything wanting you to register or sign up for this or that. Since when does my mouse need to have an online profile to work like a mouse?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Stop using Chrome?

I like the feature of everything being accessible on all my devices so I turn it on
This.

Or, "just say no" to the syncing (on those devices that synced) and go on about your day. You're ranting as if it isn't an option to simply not sync. Someone clicked yes on those devices to do that id imagine. I don't have chome synced on my test pc and it doesn't prompt me frequently or sync behind my back. :)

OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
This.

Or, "just say no" to the syncing (on those devices that synced) and go on about your day. You're ranting as if it isn't an option to simply not sync. Someone clicked yes on those devices to do that id imagine. I don't have chome synced on my test pc and it doesn't prompt me frequently or sync behind my back. :)

No, I understand that syncing is an option, it's just that (unlike your test pc) Chrome is always nagging on my devices to sync, and yes, it appears that it is syncing behind my back.

I am venting/ranting-yes, I got Chrome always nagging to sync, I've got Facebook making what 'should be' simple app adjustments countintuitive, I've got Amazon attempting to trick me into inadvertently agree to Prime, etc etc.

I want my Web 1.0 back! :rolleyes:

Robert17

Premium Member
No, I understand that syncing is an option, it's just that (unlike your test pc) Chrome is always nagging on my devices to sync, and yes, it appears that it is syncing behind my back.

I am venting/ranting-yes, I got Chrome always nagging to sync, I've got Facebook making what 'should be' simple app adjustments countintuitive, I've got Amazon attempting to trick me into inadvertently agree to Prime, etc etc.

I want my Web 1.0 back! :rolleyes:
I'm in your camp on this. Netscape Navigator was 'da bomb' back when. But mitigating pop-ups and virus attacks was pretty often and discouraging.

I use two browsers, one for privacy and one for business. The Brave broswer for the web at home. Many web sites hate me using it's ad-blocker and some sites are virtually unusable due to it, but there are alternative sites for any/all of them so no problem. This browser has had no negative impact on any sites I use for banking, shopping, news, OCF.

Chrome is on my android phone and also used for my Gmail account (for business and personal contact). I have spent a bit of time fine tuning it to not sync most activities but do enjoy having the map, calendar, contacts and email available at home or on the road. I have every setting turned to the lowest history being saved, lowest anything that is optional. I got rid of facebook last year. And quit getting directed ads within about 3-4 months. And was greatly relieved. Lots of 'Ands' in there.

Different tools for different needs.

OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Oh yeah, the Brave browser, I need to get that re-installed on this recent install of Debian 10. I think I've got the sync problem under control for now, some people "love" to be all sync'd up, I see it as an uninvited intrusion.

In today's computing world the user / consumer is being conditioned to accept less freedom and less control over their devices and usage, that's sad. IMO.

Culbrelai

Not gonna like this post makes me think your wife caught you on some sites lmao

Seriously tho, Chrome has been annoying the hell out of me lately too, using 20% of my 3090 on youtube/twitch with acceleration OFF.

Kenrou

Seriously tho, Chrome has been annoying the hell out of me lately too, using 20% of my 3090 on youtube/twitch with acceleration OFF.

That's odd, mine uses about 2%-3% of my 5700xt at 4k60fps on YouTube/Twitch with acceleration off ? I mean, the whole point of turning it off is that it (almost completely) stops using the GPU to render pages.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Try turning it on? There is a NVENC chip on these that does that with less of a penalty...?

EDIT: With it on, I use less than 10% overall of the GPU (~5% decode)... with it off I use ~20% overall. Enable it.

Last edited:
OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member