• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Chrome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigabit

Anyone using this or is everyone still using Firefox?I have had this installed for a while and im starting to like it.Its better than IE8 and so far it doesnt crash and freeze up on me like msn and ie8.

Attachments

• chrome.jpg
    chrome.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 141

johnz

I don't really care for tbh. It's speedy, but I like the customization potential of Firefox. Here's my order of preference for browsers...

Firefox
Opera
Chrome
IE8
I don't do Apple :^P

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I have used FF, but never tweaked it so I cant give it a fair shake. With that said, I use chrome exclusively.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
I use chrome at work b/c I have a portable version on a USB stick. The stick is pretty generic and slow. Chrome is so light-weight it is almost as though it were a normal install. Firefox, on the other hand, slows down to access the drive every few minutes and grinds browsing to a halt.

At home, I use firefox because it's the more powerful option. Ad block plus is one huge boon to it, as are firebug and many, many other plugins not available in competitor's offerings.

Opera is my third in line. I actually really, really like it. It's just not compatible with enough sites. For instance, my router, which Opera hates. It won't allow the username/password popup. I even went to Opera's IRC channel and their conclusion was that router software sucks. It also doesn't work right in back-end editing like Joomla. The java doesn't work properly. In every other browser, when you right-click it brings up the editor's context menu. In Opera, it's as if you were right clicking any old place. There are others, but this is getting lengthy so I'll stop now. :)

Shiggity

I use Chrome and Firefox, both have features that I like.

If you combined the add-on / customizable superiority of Firefox with the ultra-lightweight snappy feeling of Chrome you'd have the perfect browser imo.

Trombe

I used to only use Firefox until the freezy, laggy pile of trash FF 3.5 came out. I then switched to Chrome on Windows and Chromium on linux, and couldn't be happier.

conway

I have every browser installed because I get bored a lot and like to play and test speeds on various sites. For me, Firefox is overall the fastest in loading/rendering most pages. I'm running the latest beta atm, although the same applied to the latest stable. Chrome starts faster, and scores slightly higher in java benchmarks, but that's about it. That's my experience, and I do get 20 mb down, so maybe that has something to do with it.

If Chrome had something like adblock plus(that worked properly) besides using a clunky proxy like Bfilter, I'd give it a little more credit.

Opera isn't bad, but it's just not the speed demon it used to be compared to the competition anymore. At least it gives you a built in way to block ads if you're willing to manually update the ini file a couple of times a month.

I don't think anything needs to be said about IE :D

curtis1552

Haven't used chrome since I stopped booting Windows, but really liked it when I was using it.
I found that flash videos played clearer and faster in chrome. Tried the linux variant for a while but that was pre-release and it was really buggy, so I haven't bothered to try it again.

jgv115

I'm still using Firefox. I used Chrome for a while when it was version 1. It is now at 3 so I don't know.

Can Chrome support ANY extensions? I can't live without adblock..

conway

I'm still using Firefox. I used Chrome for a while when it was version 1. It is now at 3 so I don't know.

Can Chrome support ANY extensions? I can't live without adblock..

There are a couple of worthless "adblock" extensions for Chrome dev versions. If you're used to the real Adblock Plus, they're not worth your time. The best solution for blocking ads in Chrome is to use Bfilter with the shell script(use it in Windows with Perl installed) that converts the Easlist ABP list into a format it can use. That being said, it's clunky and doesn't automatically hide/strip elements like ABP does. It's a lot of hassle just to use a browser that doesn't really offer any benefits other than starting fast.

Neuromancer

I still use Opera, it may not render java the fastest anymore (FF and Chrome have taken that) but still handle HTML awesome and I do not need to add anything to it.

Opera is a luxury car, it might not fit in every parking space, but its a great ride :)

As for Opera not working right on some sites... have you tried setting that sites preferences? Report as IE works for most of them (like EVGAs new Fed up forums, I dont know what monkeys they got to code the new forum, but it SUCKS. Error console shows about 100 errors per page load :eek:)

jgv115

There are a couple of worthless "adblock" extensions for Chrome dev versions. If you're used to the real Adblock Plus, they're not worth your time. The best solution for blocking ads in Chrome is to use Bfilter with the shell script(use it in Windows with Perl installed) that converts the Easlist ABP list into a format it can use. That being said, it's clunky and doesn't automatically hide/strip elements like ABP does. It's a lot of hassle just to use a browser that doesn't really offer any benefits other than starting fast.

Yea, I'll just stick with Firefox for now :D. I like personas :)

FudgeNuggets

I still use Opera, it may not render java the fastest anymore (FF and Chrome have taken that) but still handle HTML awesome and I do not need to add anything to it.

Opera is a luxury car, it might not fit in every parking space, but its a great ride :)

As for Opera not working right on some sites... have you tried setting that sites preferences? Report as IE works for most of them (like EVGAs new Fed up forums, I dont know what monkeys they got to code the new forum, but it SUCKS. Error console shows about 100 errors per page load :eek:)

I'm sorry but you're unique here. Opera is just awful.