• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google is going to pass us in a few hours...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
macklin01 said:
Hmm, we're really sounding like a bunch of sore losers here ....

I was "talking" (emailing) with Kyle over at [H] the other day, and I think it's more like the Google group is like a corporate-sponsored and organized time, and in that regard, the scores aren't really comparable. (Or perhaps like a corporate user with 23,000 computers.) But I think it's very important to not discredit or be jealous of Google's contribution. They're doing a good thing, and I have no doubt that each of their users must have felt it was a good thing to contribute to, or else they would not have turned on the feature and give access to their computers.

Just a few thoughts. -- Paul

You are 100% on the mark my man. But for me its a lot of good natured grumbling, nothing really quite serious. We all know that Google doesn't compete in the same game as us (no team spirit, forums, etc) however it still has to get to you on that little competitive side when you get trounced so badly, even if it was a blind juggernaut who had no intent to do so..Kinda like getting batted out of the way by your older brother cause you didn't move fast enough.

It is all for the good of the project, and that is what really matters.

macklin01, sounds to me like you disagree with some of our opinions on whether google is a team. That's fine, variety is the spice of life. I've never said anything about them not being good for the project; they are a fantastic resource for Vijay and Co. to tap. I'm glad that google is mass-deploying the project because it gets that many more processors crunching numbers for the project and, unlike a lot of the people here, I'm already a lot closer to needing the results of this research to help save my own @$$ because I'm already 46 and there has been Alzheimer's on both sides of my family.

However, I don't consider them in the same group as the forum teams; they are like some headless corporate entity and no forum can ever come close to the resources available to google through their toolbar. They should be classed apart from the forum teams due to this fact. So far, it doesn't look like any other corporate type entity is deploying en-masse but if you notice, there is a team called Hotmail. I haven't been able to find out much of anything about their program, but if Hotmail would decide to mass-deploy, they would eclipse google as bad as google eclipses us both in resources and public exposure.

Any comments that I make implying that I disrespect google's efforts, such as the middle finger salute statement, are made in jest, not anger or jealosy of their effort. It is just another way of responding to their effort, which totally outclasses anything the forum and private teams can muster. As for the google toolbar, I hope that Vijay can sway google to incorporate a way for the people folding with it to be able to change their usernames and team designation because I think that this project might motivate at least some of them to find out more, and hopefully come to a DC forum where they can be more fully informed as to the results of their work that they've donated and also they would learn a lot more about the project itself.

Fold on!.

Shad said:
But for me its a lot of good natured grumbling, nothing really quite serious.

Absolutely! I never thought otherwise. I was just trying to sound a cautionary note that we don't let ourselves sound too much like it. ;) (Hmm, I think I'm getting old much too quickly.)

however it still has to get to you on that little competitive side when you get trounced so badly,
I have to admit, I was pretty sad when I realized that they'd be passing us within the week. But good for them!

Thanks for the nice write, and I'll be seeing you around!

hey, nothing bad intended ...

muddocktor said:
macklin01, sounds to me like you disagree with some of our opinions on whether google is a team.

Jein, and I hope that I haven't ruffled any feathers here. If you'll read this part of my quote:

is like a corporate-sponsored and organized time [sic], and in that regard, the scores aren't really comparable. (Or perhaps like a corporate user with 23,000 computers.)

You will see that we are in agreement. They are on a different playing field and really aren't comparable. BTW, "time" is a typo. I meant "team".

I'm already a lot closer to needing the results of this research to help save my own @$$ because I'm already 46 and there has been Alzheimer's on both sides of my family.

I'm very sorry to hear this. And once again, I agree 100%. This project has a multitude of good potential results in the works, and it's exciting to see such rapid progress. Speaking as another computational scientist working on a different tumor-related problem, I can only cheer on this wonderful effort.

However, I don't consider them in the same group as the forum teams; they are like some headless corporate entity

See the yellow quote above. ;)

and no forum can ever come close to the resources available to google through their toolbar.

Did you hack my emails? ;) You came close to quoting me.

They should be classed apart from the forum teams due to this fact.

See my yellow quote and the explanation above.

So far, it doesn't look like any other corporate type entity is deploying en-masse but if you notice, there is a team called Hotmail. I haven't been able to find out much of anything about their program, but if Hotmail would decide to mass-deploy, they would eclipse google as bad as google eclipses us both in resources and public exposure.

No, I hadn't seen that team, but it's a good case in point. It may be time to roll out a "corporate class." Again, see my yellow quote above.

Any comments that I make implying that I disrespect google's efforts, such as the middle finger salute statement,

I really wasn't responding to you in particular, and if my post happened to follow immediately after yours (I don't remember at the moment), I'm sorry. I'm not responding to any one person. Shad was exactly right, BTW. There's still that competitive streak in me that wishes that we weren't passed so handily by the google juggernaut. But I think that instead of moping over it or declaring them a nonteam simply because we cannot beat them, I think we should just say, "Well, they're not really in our weight class, but we can be inspired by the massive effort all the same."

are made in jest, not anger or jealosy of their effort. It is just another way of responding to their effort,

I'm really glad to hear this. And one more time, and for the record, I'm not accusing any one user of anything. I'm just trying to sound a cautionary note that it's not just our own users here, and let's try to not sound like a bunch of sore losers. Notice I said "sound like", not "are". We aren't sore losers. We aren't losers at all, period. We're all contributing to the cause, and we're enjoying some friendly competition along the way.

which totally outclasses anything the forum and private teams can muster.

Yellow quote.

I want to thank you for elaborating your ideas. One of the terrific things about these forums is that it is a place where we can develop our opinions and ideas while talking with many other competent computer users, all without fear of ridicule or retribution. The overclockers forums is the only place I hang out on the internet anymore, and that is exactly due to the collaborative, helpful, friendly, and thought-provoking atmosphere.

Fold on!.
And I see that you've passed the 5,000 mark. Way to go! Thanks for your dedication to the forums and the folding project. I look forward to seeing you around in the forums! ;)

Fold on! -- Paul

Back