• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google removed from Statsman?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rav

Maybe the huge surge in users/stats created by team google was causing the problems statsman had the last couple days? In any case, I hope they leave google out of the stats permanently.

-Rav

gtsimmo

Hey if it's better for the cause of finding a cure, Im all for google. Some of us may not agree with their tactics, but they are neither the less a major contributer. Heck if i ever meet the guy that programmed it i may buy him a :beer:, two if he can reprogram so it folds for us ;)
Even if they are not included, standford site will still include them in their stats, and their's is what matters more i guess.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
I don't think google caused statsman any probs, I actually think this is a VERY smart move and hope it is permanent as well. They are not a TEAM, which has been discussed. I know they are great for the project - but they are very bad for moral. I was a little put off myself with their huge production from people who really have no idea what folding is about. Like I said, I have to think it is GOOD for the science of it, that is where it ends though.

skou

I would like to see Google considered as Default2, while they do a LOT of work, they are not a team. They don't communicate with each other, have contests, buy new boxen, spend all their time at hardware sites ( i need a life) lets face it - they're not Geeks.

The people in these teams are Geeks competing against each other, for fun, but still competing.

My $.02

steve

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
skou said:
I would like to see Google considered as Default2, while they do a LOT of work, they are not a team. They don't communicate with each other, have contests, buy new boxen, spend all their time at hardware sites ( i need a life) lets face it - they're not Geeks.

The people in these teams are Geeks competing against each other, for fun, but still competing.

My $.02

steve
Agreed, I think statsman feels the same way, note how default is not listed on statsman.

Killer[MoB]

Registered
FYI from Ron and Randy. I was just over posting a stats update and thought I would drop this in here.

rshands said:
definition of a team - a number of persons associated together in work or activity.

definition of associate - to bring together or into relationship in any of various intangible ways (as in memory or imagination)

The individuals that record work units for Google do not interact with each other on a regular bases. Where is their [email protected] website or forum? Do they send one another parts for boxen? Do they share mojo stories? DO THEY "D" FOR BETTIE JO?

IMO - All this talk about "the Google Team" is total BS. They are not a team by definition. As far as I'm concerned they should be grouped with all of the other anonymous folders or as one individual and removed from the stats.

rshands

rkhands said:
I totally agree with my brother. This is just another in a long list of poorly implemented plans by Stanford. I am removing Google from the list of teams and treating their members the same as the anonymous/default users. This is the way it should have been done by Stanford/Google in the first place.

Rav

Can you imagine the production if google adds millions of users? I wouldn't feel very useful if they had 100x the production of all the organized teams combined. I rather not see their stats.

No question though, its GREAT for the project as a whole. I can't wait to see the results.

-Rav

OP
Gnerma

Gnerma

Thanks Killer[MoB], was looking for some explanation like that but just could not find one :beer: Oh and thanks for starting the '3 for all...' stats thread.

Thespis377

DANG!!! I was at work when this happened. Why didn't any of you call me and tell me? I'm upset. *sniff* 9-) Thanks Statsman. You da bomb. I don't feel so helpless anymore. [H] and OCAU better watch their backs for real now. OC TO #1!!!!!

/ME FOLDING LIKE MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!!

Last edited:

Yodums

What they said. Surely it is a contribution to science and sometimes we put competition ahead of ourselves however, they nothing close to being a team: No website, no forum, simply no communication.

Rottys-R-Us

Jester
quote: PS We're working on getting new stats db servers up to relieve the load. In particular, we'll separate out the Google users.

taken from the folding community forum

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=1996&start=30

FOLD ON!!! :burn:

Rich [/B][/QUOTE]

I had seen that and was going to post it here, BUT dinner was ready so I had to wait and see it now.

Just more frosting on the CAKE :D

OP
Gnerma

Gnerma

Rottys-R-Us said:
I had seen that and was going to post it here, BUT dinner was ready so I had to wait and see it now.

Just more frosting on the CAKE :D

Hmm it seems life is always interfering with your posting Rottys, sounds like you need to look at your priorities... :rolleyes:

skou

Hey G, quit picking on him. Just 'cause he has a life...

steve