• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google's simplistic homepage confused me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
They changed the way the main page loads, the top menu bar of their site doesn't load until you move the mouse onto the screen. I hit refresh like 5 times before I finally realized how to make the menu bar appear. My dumb moment of the day.

Last edited:
OP
updawg

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
Here is a before and after picture. Make sure when you load googles page your mouse is on your menu bar and not over the main page.

Attachments

• invisible.png
    invisible.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 221
  • good.png
    good.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 220

BenF

The did change it. For a week or so there was just the placed where you typed whatever you were searching for. No search button, no feeling lucky button, no image search button, or anything else. I found that interface confusing. I just checked right now and they went back to their old interface.

OP
updawg

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
It is still the same for me as when I posted this.

nd4spdbh2

The did change it. For a week or so there was just the placed where you typed whatever you were searching for. No search button, no feeling lucky button, no image search button, or anything else. I found that interface confusing. I just checked right now and they went back to their old interface.

when... i use google every day multiple multiple times and never noticed the change. on many different computers on many different internet connections.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
They changed the way the main page loads, the top menu bar of their site doesn't load until you move the mouse onto the screen. I hit refresh like 5 times before I finally realized how to make the menu bar appear. My dumb moment of the day.
When they're running tests, they don't have the same page show up for everybody. You're probably a lucky 1% who got selected to test the interface on.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
The menus don't show for me unless I rollover the page either. Then again aside from this test I literally cannot think of the last time I used Google's homepage, I just search from my browser's built-in search which is set to Google of course.

nd4spdbh2

yup just noticed the new layout on my GFs comp. then today i was at home on my laptop... all was normal... got to school on the schools wifi and i have the simplistic google layout... its intresting.

soulfly1448

I noticed this on one of my (2) Win7 machines, but not my XP machine, both using FF3.5. After a few uses it reverted back to normal. So, who knows? The google folks do, I'm sure.

TommyHolly

It had something to do with Seseme Street I thought? That message "This page left intentionally blank" came out the same time the muppet backgrounds did. As soon as you move your mouse around, all the old links come back up. It annoys me as well.