• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got 99 problems and the fans is one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

647chang

Registered
I having some problem on how to wire up my fans. Little info on my build. I'm doing a watercooled build. With a Z270I (mini-itx). I have 2x 240 radiator, and 5x fans total. 4x fans for the radiator and 1x case fan. I have 2 pwm fans which i plan on exhausting out the top, and 3x 3 wire fans (case fan from NXZT). 2x of the fans I'll use for intake (radiator) from the front and 1x fan for intake from back I have the NZXT manta case and it comes with a fan hub. My MOBO has CPU_FAN, AIO_PUMP, and CHA_FAN. I'm assuming that all 3 of these connection are the same? My pump is also a PWM pump. How do I wire all these up with full speed control from the MOBO or 3rd party software like speedfan?

The pump and fan hub both have a 4 pin molex, so Im assuming there wont be that 1 amp draw from the MOBO?

I've taken a picture of the fan hub from NZXT. I read somewhere that the fan hub will run the fans at 100% https://ibb.co/dvitJv

So are you actually having a problem you want help with or just asking how to go about something?

If the pump and fan hub and both powered by molex which are not on the motherboard, then no. You only need to worry about the 1a value when using the motherboard header for power. When using a molex, it's getting its power from there.

You would have to have all fans on the headers of the mobo to control them. You also have to see how your header controls it, pwm or voltage and make the fans work that way. But I doubt you will,have enough headers on a mitx board. Fan Controller... ;)

Fans with only three pins cannot be controlled via the motherboard technology known as PWM (pulse width modulation). Those would need to be controlled by an analog voltage controller. You can buy them that fit in a drive bay and they will control multiple fans individually with a knob type controller for each one. You can also use "Y" splitters to control two fans with one knob. You can also control four pin fans with an analog controller. So, using an analog controller you can control both 3 pin and four pin fans with the same device. However, you cannot achieve the low rpm speeds that you can with PWM from the motherboard. PWM allows you to slow down the fans to a crawl for quiet use. Using analog fan controllers limits how much you can slow the fan down because once you get below a certain voltage the fans stall out.

Talk to NZXT they said I can hook everything to the fan hub and control the fans with motherboard, but they will all be on the same speed. Now the question is, how do you connect 4 pin fan to the 3 pin fan hub. I know just plug into the 3 pin, but which 3?

Talk to NZXT they said I can hook everything to the fan hub and control the fans with motherboard, but they will all be on the same speed. Now the question is, how do you connect 4 pin fan to the 3 pin fan hub. I know just plug into the 3 pin, but which 3?

Well, I don't think you will find they will all be the same speed. The will all receive the same PWM input but the varying impedance (resistance to initial startup) of the individual fans will still impact their speeds.

Back