• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a good laugh yesterday....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
I was out yesterday afternoon, trying to locate a pair of 1/2" "Y" fittings to convert my H20 rig for the dual setup I just built, when I came across a new (to me, anyway) 'puter store. I haven't been over to that area in that town (a couple towns away) in years, so....

I pulled over and stopped to check it out. Lil' shop...oriental guy running it. Judging by the contents of the shelves and various boxes of items (a couple cases of mobo's and whatnot), the guy is definitely an intel guy. I saw one mobo (Asus A7V333 (?)) and a retail packaged Duron 750 for AMD stuff. About 20 Cellies, P///'s and P4's on the shelves next to it.

I wandered around for a minute or so, and the owner (I'm assuming) looked up from the 'puter he was working on to ask "How are you today? Are you rooking for anyting in pawticuwah?"

I talked to him for a few minutes (didn't say I knew anything about building puters, or the site here) and mentioned it was good to see another shop open locally.

A few minutes later a customer of his came in. The guy was having his rig upgraded, and the owner was explaining what he'd done. I didn't catch all of the conversation, but I heard enough to do two things;

1) Get me to walk out the door, back to my (futile) search for some hose fittings.

2) LMAO on the way back to the car.

Seems the guy had put this rig together using a new case, "as the mobo wouldn't fit in his old one". Ok...the guy might have had an OEM micro-ATX...could be..I don't know. they kept talking, and I caught that he'd upgraded this fellow from an Athlon 1.3 to a P4 1.5 :eek: :eek:

"So this is a faster chip?"

"Oh yes. Rerry fastah chip."

The wheels in my head started turning....1.5GHz P4. They didn't make a LSN 1.5......so that would be a Williamette cored P4. Hmmmm...they call those Celerons now...:p

This guy just got upgraded from a 1300 Athlon to a 1500 Celeron. :rolleyes: DOH! Oh yeah...much "faster" chip...LOL. I should have asked the guy to send me benchmarks when he got it running, but I did some running first...right out the door to my car...laughin' the whole way.

Hey...I figure the guy's gotta make a livin', so I left him alone...I coulda asked a few technical questions, but I didn't. Hope the guy is happy with his "new rig".

Man...I am soooo glad I found this website a couple years ago...:cool:

B.

DeltaSierra

Good story Mr. B. The problem is I don't know whether to laugh with you or rant because of the shop owner's methods. But, like you said, I hope the customer likes his new rig. But you're right about one thing: knowledge about WHATEVER it is you're buying sure can save you a lot of money and trouble!

JDXNC

Thats pretty funny! A local shop near me has some similar practices, heck they still sell P166 rig for $400! :( When I was in search for a HD for my laptop I browsed around there and the owner said the best he could do was $300 for a 6GB drive, last year mind you, but thats still way over priced.

Yodums

Good laugh on the "overclocking techie" point of view however there's always the other view. Being oriental, the asians are always trying to trick people! If you look at it from his point of view:

The Williamette's are expensive due to demands = More money
Customer don't know jack

I know it aint right but business is business!

OP
Mr B

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Frodo Baggins said:
if I were you, I would have started a bit of a discussion to inform the customer...

(then again I am not that audacious in public)

But...would the customer have understood anything other than "higher MHz number = faster"?

If I started explaining the arcitecture of the two chips...I seriously doubt he'd comprehend anything.

BTW...let's not go and bash Asians...he just happened to be, but he could have been anything. There's people like that all over. Let's leave that point alone.

B.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I am one lucky bastidge...

Both of the computer stores I live closest to are very knowledgable. The closest makes decent rigs with only a small markup to cover costs. THe other store only carries the newest parts and exclusively builds gaming rigs. There's a third store, but it looks like a renovated trailer so I haven't bothered to waste my time going there just to repeat an event like the one Mr. B described.

The first store I mentioned will be hiring me soon since I seem to be the only person in the area capable of fixing Socket 7 and older machines. This store either loses business on those customers that can't afford huge upgrades, or they convince them to order parts they don't really need.

But I won't be in sales so that's not up to me. I'll just be helping them grab the less power-hungry custmers who just need an e-mail machine.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
thats a sad story. funny too,dont get me wrong.but i guess not everyone can be enlightened.and even if mhz =mhz he still robbed the customer! 200mhz increase isnt worth no more than $50.i bet dude paid $400+ for case/mobo/cpu mabey more if ram/video was replaced.

i can understand how people can be taken like that. but ive never understood the person who does it. :(

btw i went shopping today also i found a slot A athlon 700mhz combo with a shuttle mobo combo both brandnew for $40 !!!! i about crapped my pants right in the store! i drove home as fast as i could since i had my kids with me was rather slow. and scrounged up as much cash as i could.i live 40 miles away btw. and called em back said id be there in a hour hold and to it. he said it was sold 10 mins ago. i felt my heat break!somebody out there is smilen tonight! had to be a mistake in the pricing tho. i went back and it was gone.

Last edited: