• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a new router, now nothing works

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camarossguy2

Registered
So i thought it would be a good idea to finally upgrade my old linksys54g to a newer router. So i bought a belkin n300 (F7D7302) opened it up, flashed it to tomatousb, plugged it in and.... nothing. all my computers show "unidentified network" messed around with it for a few hours and occasionally got a wireless internet connection for a few minutes before it would show "limited connectivity".

Ive been casually doing networks for a long time and they always have been easy... Plug it in a go.

So after dozens of 30/30/30 resets etc nothing. So i flashed to factory belkin firmware back successfully and still same issue.
then i went back to my old linksys54g and nothing worked either (it has ddrwt) so i did a 30/30/30 and got one computer working
Later i had to mess with dns setting on my ps3 to get it to connected and reset the directv, pinters etc... i think its working again.

The only other thing i think might be related is the original computer mobo crashed at the same time as all this and i read that some ISP mirror the original computers MAC address, however i tried swapping those over and to the new router and still nothing.

I dont think its broken, but i have no clue what to do. I cant imagine i would have to set up all the IPs manually etc

Any suggestions?

Here is the currect config
comcast cable
linksys cable modem
linksys 54g
> OBI100 phone
>comp 1
>verizon network extender
> leviton 5 port switch
->comp2
->ps3
->directv
->printer

Ideally, I would like n300 with the leviton switch and the lynksys54 as access points

did you reboot the pc's after you switched it and let them get their new dhcp addresses?

Did you power off your cable modem for about 15 minutes and plug it back in for it to recognize another device?

So i thought it would be a good idea to finally upgrade my old linksys54g to a newer router. So i bought a belkin n300 (F7D7302) opened it up, flashed it to tomatousb, plugged it in and.... nothing. all my computers show "unidentified network" messed around with it for a few hours and occasionally got a wireless internet connection for a few minutes before it would show "limited connectivity".

Ive been casually doing networks for a long time and they always have been easy... Plug it in a go.

So after dozens of 30/30/30 resets etc nothing. So i flashed to factory belkin firmware back successfully and still same issue.
then i went back to my old linksys54g and nothing worked either (it has ddrwt) so i did a 30/30/30 and got one computer working
Later i had to mess with dns setting on my ps3 to get it to connected and reset the directv, pinters etc... i think its working again.

The only other thing i think might be related is the original computer mobo crashed at the same time as all this and i read that some ISP mirror the original computers MAC address, however i tried swapping those over and to the new router and still nothing.

It's probably not the MAC address on the PC's ethernet controller.

It's probably because the Comcast account is tied to the MAC of the original router.

If Comcast tied accounts to a single PC's ethernet controller, I would expect a rebellion from subscribers! (It's not 2004!) (That's what I would expect in 2004, when it was Adelphia in Vermont and back then, they probably tried to ban users from having more than one computer connected.)

Last edited:
It's probably not the MAC address on the PC's ethernet controller.

It's probably because the Comcast account is tied to the MAC of the original router.

If Comcast tied accounts to a single PC's ethernet controller, I would expect a rebellion from subscribers! (It's not 2004!) (That's what I would expect in 2004, when it was Adelphia in Vermont and back then, they probably tried to ban users from having more than one computer connected.)

Typically they tie the connection to a single MAC address. Unplugging the modem for about 10-20 minutes generally does a soft reset and when turning it back on it can re-register a new MAC address that is connected to it. In this case, a new router.

Yeah, the reset button etc won't do anything near what leaving it unplugged for 10-20 minutes will.

Was the new router was getting an IP address from the cable modem? I'm assuming that you are just using DHCP from the router, is that correct? Were you able to access the router's interface from any of your computers? Were your computers getting IPs via DHCP successfully or not? Knowing any/all of this will help narrow things down to where the problem is.

I have Comcast and when I switch devices connected directly to the modem, I have to power cycle the modem before it will register my connection to the different MAC address. I don't have to do any sort of magic reset of any sorts or leave my modem unplugged for any certain amount of time. A simple power cycle of the modem and device (router or PC if directly connected) should be sufficient. If I do not power cycle the modem, my router gets an odd IP address from the cable modem which doesn't allow me to connect to the internet (it's a private IP).

For anyone searching this thread.
Installed ddrwrt on the new belkin, unplugged the router, and modem for 15 minutes, then powered them up with only one computer connected and then added other connections one at a time.
Everything works great now! thanks!

Back