• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got Board with some Card Board *PIC HEAVY*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Well,
Digging through my uber messy closet I found my very, very first ATX tower, and man is she beat to hell. She had holes drilled in her, parts broken/bent off from when I tried to do my first mod(s), structurly unstable due to pieces being torn out, and well I decided after about 2 days of evaluation that I can use it, for something.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of how beat up it was, but it was pretty bad. Previously I had ideas for a cardboard tower, but factoring in the weight of the PSU, Mobo & HDDs, it simply wouldnt work. So...why don't I combine two ideas, into one? Well I did...

When I finally decided to start taking pictures I was pretty deep into the mod. I took duct tape and put it along ALL of the edges that were able to easily cut (I've got a rather nasty cut from scraped allumium from this thing on my thumb). Once I completed that, I cut out cardboard for the bottom of the tower, top, front and back. For the front, I cut a 92mm hole for an intake fan, and a small hole towards the middle for a power button. Along side that, I had nothing else to put leaving the face completely empty...uber boring. Anyone like...I mean LOVE to drink Bawls? Glow in the dark Bawls sure will look nasty in this mod. For the back side I simply cut out all the areas that were nessary, screw rail for the PCI cards, Mobo connections, PSU connections, and where empty PCI slots were I cut a 80mm hole for an exhuast fan. Here are the pics you've been waiting for!

resize_DSCF1163.JPG

resize_DSCF1165.JPG

resize_DSCF1166.JPG

Also, Once i got the cardboard on, I lined the outer edges of it to prevent damage/tearing.

Now some side panels are needed...took a bit to get these to work right but I think i figured it out.

resize_DSCF1168.JPG

resize_DSCF1169.JPG

resize_DSCF1170.JPG

Looks pretty tight eh?

Last edited:
OP
ziggo0

ziggo0

Now for some lighting.

resize_DSCF1172.JPG

Wait a minute zig...why have cathode tubes in a tower with no window?

resize_DSCF1174.JPG

And the money shot(s)

resize_DSCF1177.JPG

resize_DSCF1181.JPG

(My camera hates BLUE)

resize_DSCF1185.JPG

resize_DSCF1187.JPG

resize_DSCF1188.JPG

I hope you all enjoyed looking at this as much as i did making it. Its roughly 5AM right now and I just finished this about 20 minutes ago. Damn am I tired...night all <3

You can view even more pictures here: http://www.distantnetwork.net/images/projects/cardboard_mod/

Edit: Sorry for the huge res pictures...I will re-size them once I wake up.

Last edited:

Slayer2003

omg THAT IS THE HAWTNESS mang!!!!!!

Serioulsy, thats a neat idea. Now you can write, paint, etc on your case, and in a week, if ya dont like it, redo the outer cardboard skin. Nice!

natewildes

How's the sound? It must be pretty quiet, I'll go give it a try on my case tonight....