• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 need help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I got the tv tuner to replace the relic ATi TV Wonder Ve because the dinosaur doesn't do ATSC. However I've ran into one undocumented issue: Hauppauge WinTV program does NOT support closed captioning. :bang head:bang head:bang head

I am hard of hearing and I depended on that to follow the video. I have already bugged Hauppauge support and they confirmed their software doesn't support it but suggested I try MCE 2005 or some flavor of Vista and use their TV program instead of WinTV.

I don't have either of those as I never intended to build a full blown HTPC, just a desktop that lets me watch local TV stations while browsing or doing forums.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party software that works with Hauppauge TV tuner (both NTSC and ATSC mode) and has closed caption support? Or should I look for MCE and use that one in place of plain vanilla XP?

Or can I rip out M$'s TV software from MCE OS and use them on XP?

Great Satchmo

Registered
I'd check to see if GBPVR or Meedios or something like that will support the card and closed captioning (or a pay option like BeyondTV).

OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
GBPVR doesn't have any listing for 1250, it work with other Hauppage driver listed in GBPVR but no ATSC support.

Will have to try Meedios

doublejack

AFAIK, the 1250 does work with GB-PVR for NTSC reception. It will also do QAM. What the 1250 won't do with GB-PVR is provide old fashioned NTSC analog. The reason is because the 1250 has no MPEG2 encoder. But the digital stuff works exactly the same with the 1250 as it does for the 1600. So while the 1250 isn't officially supported, you can get it to work.

OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Bummer. So which tv card could I get that has ATSC tuner and working closed captioning? PCI-e 1x prefered as I'm short of available PCI slots.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Best Buy has ATI TV Wonder HD 650: (Yes, I checked other stores, Best Buy is no more expensive than other places, NewEgg actually charges over $100)

PCI-E x1 - $69.99

USB 2.0 - $74.99

You might be able to use one of the 10% coupons on that, but I don't have a current one to see the list of exclusions.