• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got multimeter, where to test all 3 voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
E

equalizr

nevermind..i figured it out...i tested the 3.3 off of the AUX cable.
voltages from multimeter are as reads:

3.3v=3.49v
5v=5.11
12v=12.48

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Hehe, rescued from dead bottom.

When you test with a multimeter, you're getting the actual voltages that the power supply is puting out, but not necessarily what the motherboard is getting. Remember that the psu's juice is passing through tons of components and connectors on it's way through a motherboard, all of which will drop voltages slightly just by resistence (no superconductors on a motherboard yet).
Software programs tend to see more closer to what the motherboard is getting at the component level, though honestly, some aren't reading right or don't have software updates for current chipsets, cause I get some super funky readings on my AT7 (like around -7 volts for my +3.3).

Now if you have a large difference between them, and the software seems not be the problem, then look first at your power connector to make sure it's clean and not charred or melted.

Anymore problems, post 'em here.

Warren G

Does the whole comp has to be on to test the psu or can i just hit the switch in the back of the psu and test it from there?

OP
E

equalizr

computer has to be on...or unplug it from the mobo and connect the green and any black together to turn it on to test voltages.