• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gotta oc my backup,need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
little info
gateway 2000
Solectron 586 200MHz PCI Motherboard With MMX And Integrated Video w/200mmx chip
96mb sdram pc100
win98
stock except i added some better cooling.
anyhow id like to oc it somehow.of course i know its almost hopeless.anyhow.
the mobo settings are at max 66fsb 3x on the multi. should i look for a new mobo? or chip? or ive heard something about powerleap?.
i have a p133 i can throw in and oc it too 166 or higher i guess. i just dont wanna bland backup!ive tried softfsb,cpufsb and niether will read my pLL. kinda stuck.
its either oc this thing cheap or plop down a small amount for a socketA mobo and a 1600.but i dont think i need to. itll mainly just be a intenet appliance an my kids surfen tool.no games.
main rig does that.with cable modom its actually pretty peppy! lol i said peppy lol
anyhow any ideas?

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Powerleap wont work on that, the options are kinda limited by the cpu/mobo :( sorry to say but how about get new used cheap cpu/mobo ? celeron 300 or P-II 300 and a BX mobo if you can find. im sure all your hardware will work witht em :)

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
yeh ive seen cellys around kinda cheap also. but whats a bx mobo? mabey ill look in classifieds a bit or post in the wanted section. i just dont wanna spend much on this until i get my main rig done.

batboy

Senior Moment
Since your mobo was used in an OEM machine, I doubt it'll have an adjustable FSB (sometimes called system frequency or CPU clock on those old mobos). But, you might want to look at all the jumpers to make sure. Try to download a manual if the jumpers are not labeled (often they just say JP3 or something like that). Sometimes there are little jumper tables silk screened onto the mobo that will tell you what the jumpers mean. There is a good chance it will have a 3.5X multiplier jumper (sometimes called CPU ratio). If so, then setting the jumpers for 3.5X will give you 233 MHz. That's all you can hope for unless you can set your FSB to 75 MHz. The other option is to buy a socket 7 AMD K6 or K6-2 CPU (if that mobo will support them). Sometimes you'll need to update the BIOS. Generally a socket 7 mobo that supports MMX will also support the AMD K6 (but not always the K6-2). I have an AMD 266 that overclocks to 300+ that I'd sell cheap if you think it'll work.

A BX board is a slot 1 mobo with the Intel BX chipset. The Abit BH6 and BE6 are classic overclocking BX mobos. If you can pick up one of these used mobos really cheap, then you can use an inexpensive sloket adapter and a Celeron 566 or 600 that almost always will run at 100 FSB for 850 to 900 MHz or more. I had a C-566 that would do 978. Or there is a way to do a mod on the BX mobo and slotket to allow the use of the newer Tualatin CPUs (like 1.1a etc.). The tualatins often overclock to 1.5 gig or more.

Last edited:
OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
wow lots of info batboy ty!
this is the stuff i really needed.my mobo stops at 60-66fsb and a multi of 3. in the specs sheet at gateway itlisted 3.5 but wasnt there or working.is why i can oc my p133 in the mobo.but not my p200.im not sure a amd k6 will work above 200 mhz on this mobo.might underclock is all.
i have used socket 5 chips in it with ok results. was kool seeing a [email protected] lol
yeh the bx chipset looks like a good cheap alterantive.finding a name brand one will be a challenge tho. maby ill post in the oc.com classifieds "wanted" and look there also.but the celery 300-600 look like a reasonable upgrade with decent perfomance. and it oc's!

that my main thing ocing. yeh its my backup and i dont wanna put much more money in it. but why have something i cant oc? ocing is my main reason for loveing computing.

do you think with the info i gave ya i can use a k6 in the mobo to oc it?if so id love to try it.one good thing about old stuff its cheap :)

batboy

Senior Moment
We'll need to research the mobo manual before we can figure out if an AMD K6 will work. On most socket 7 mobos I've worked on, if you had a 3.5X multiplier option and it supported MMX which meant split voltage, then you could use this AMD 266 I have.

I'll have to look up stuff when I get home, but seemed like you set the multiplier at 1.5X or 3.5X and the K6 automatically used a higher multiplier. Maybe someone that can remember off the top of their head will jump in.

The trouble is, most socket 7 mobos I've seen that only went up to 200 MHz (or 3X multiplier) usually did not support split core and i/o voltages. Are you positive your CPU is a MMX? They made the P-200 in both classic and MMX flavors.

The AMD 266 I have uses 2.2v core voltage, 3.3 I/O voltage, 66 FSB, and 4X multiplier for the default settings. If your mobo will not support the split voltage of 2.2v/3.3v then you are definitely out of luck.

Sorry, this is not looking good for you to upgrade or overclock that old system. I've seen used P-II/mobo selling for as low as $25 before. Same with the old Celeron 300/mobo combos (300 will overclock to an easy 450 MHz). But, you'll need an ATX case and power supply which starts adding to the expense. Maybe you can find an old barebones system (case, memory, mobo, CPU) for really cheap.

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
http://support.gateway.com/support/detailedinfo.asp?sn=0008400285
is the link to all my system info after gateway scanned it.its mmx tho. gateway and sandra both confirm it.

this system is atx,plus uses pc100 dimms
the jumpers on my mobo dont mention anything above 3x but gate showed it in the jumper configs.but didnt work 3.5x.
without that multi im kinda stuck at the 200 speed.im not sure about the split voltage stuff. kinda new to anything intel.

but the good news is i think i can just get a nice used mobo/cpu hopefully with onboard video.celery or p3. everything should swap out i think

the k6 a dead option?
if so what should i look for out there? nothing over $100 tho used.
built in video is ok. but not if it hurts ocing. im not sure on that since my amd rigs ive ever built used agp cards.
celery/bx mobo ?
p3/370 mobo?
the celery items are cheaper ,on ebay anyhow. and i know oc really well. but the p3 performs alot better.both can fit in case and use all existing parts. long as its 100fsb. as my ram is pc100.

suggestion? my goal is at least 500mhz oced or higher. i can buy a video card if i have to.just more expense.
whats anyones thoughts or suggestions?
just to let you know. im on my backup now.i need more cooling fans in my main rig,and the screaming fan with a box fan blowing it is really a pain on the ears. plus looks tacky.

byw this also will be networked hopefully with my main rig. just incase u need that info.not sure how yet as im gonna start reaserching it soon.

TUK101

Pick up an old slot 1 or socket 370 board and get yourself a Celeron 366 to go along with it. They almost always hit 100 fsb for an OC of 550 mhz. You should be able to find a mobo for pretty cheap that should at least have onboard audio. Then pick up a Radeon 7200 or Geforce 2 MX200 or MX400 and you will have a descent comp for your kids to use for light gaming or surfing the internet. You should be able to get all of that for less than 150 dollars through www.newegg.com Maybe not the Celeron 366 though, but they have the rest of that stuff on there. Try www.pricewatch.com to find a C366. When I bought one of those last year as a playtoy I got it for 25 bucks on pricewatch. Good luck and have fun.

batboy

Senior Moment
In the classified section of the forum (see link), there is a member selling a combo for $45 including mobo, P-II 266, NIC, vid card, RAM, etc. Maybe you can make them a slightly lower offer. I have no idea if that mobo is overclockable, I just threw that out as an example of what's readily available, not because I thought it's a great deal. I see used stuff like this for sale at dirt cheap prices all the time. Shop around. I'm sure you'll run across something even cheaper. Last winter, I put several charity computers together for low income or fixed income people and I had other folks giving me extra computers and components to help out my effort. I still have enough parts to build at least one more P-200 just like your box.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=130974

I looked briefly at that Gateway link you provide. Sure looks like you should be able to move some jumpers around to get 233 MHz. Try moving one of the J9C1-D jumpers from pins 5 and 6 to pins 4 and 5 (see link). That should give you 3.5X multiplier and 233 MHz.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/M00260/M0026033.shtml

The bad news is that from looking at the processor voltage options, it does NOT look like the AMD K6 or K6-2 will work, sorry. You are right about FSB too, only options are 60 and 66 MHz. Good luck.

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ty for da help.yeh im currently in contact with a few ppl in the classifieds.mobo/cpu for under $50.500mhz-650mhz.celerys and athlons. couple of deals like that.unfortunatly dont have money till the first.

after this is all done. if its not so hard to verify stuff i might throw this mobo/cpu in the classifieds.plus a few other combos i have.heck might just donate em to farmers or the low income needy.anyone pop into mind?

"edit" i just went looking for a thread that was in the clssifieds.titled "nothing for sale" was a mod who put rigs together for needy people.cant find it.:(

Last edited: