• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gpu Dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PSU rail voltages look fine at idle but that doesn't necessarily mean much. You should put the system under load while you have HWMonitor open in the background. Play a game or something that works both CPU and PSU.

Please don't supply external links to images. They have a way of disappearing. Please use the built-in tool to insert the actual images in your posts. Use the Go Advanced button found at the lower right corner of any new post window.

I would down clock both the core and memory thru msi afterburner. Start by dropping 100mhz each. Test with a low demand game or benchmark. If it continues to crash you can keep lowering until its stable. If it stablizes you know for sure its dying but you may be able to squeeze a few days out of it. If it doesnt stabilize its time to buy a new card. Unfortunately it sounds like your card is on its last legs. GL

I feel that there is a lot to do about nothing here. I don't see, after all of this effort, that the answer has changed. We are just giving the same answer at a much slower pace. I still contend that the card is ready to be replaced.

I feel that there is a lot to do about nothing here. I don't see, after all of this effort, that the answer has changed. We are just giving the same answer at a much slower pace. I still contend that the card is ready to be replaced.
+1

sounds like the gpu crapped the bed......but we had to start out with free fixes.

Yes i agree that my 780 after constant usage of 5 years has gotten to the stage of needing to be replaced. Luckily for me i have a brand new evga gtx 1080ti that i have in my closet for over a year, just sitting there. Now before i install this card, i was wondering if it will bottleneck any of my other components and if not then which would you recommend i upgrade to get the most out of the 1080ti. Not sure if i want to keep the 1080ti or sell it and get a cheaper £200 GPU since i'm not a hardcore gamer, do sometimes play games on the odd occassion but my screen is 4k 32inches and at 4k resolution the 1080ti will help a lot, not just with gaming. I don't do video processing or anything cpu/gpu intensive, just browsing/movies and the occasional gaming. Also the issue that if i sell the 1080ti, i'll be forced to upgrade sooner rather than later if i buy a cheaper gpu to replace my 780, was looking at 1060 6gb. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

If you average 4-5 yrs between upgrades i would keep the 1080ti. its a really solid card and should last at least 5yrs. It is a top tier card and resale for it would be in the $500 range so there is that... :)

If you average 4-5 yrs between upgrades i would keep the 1080ti. its a really solid card and should last at least 5yrs. It is a top tier card and resale for it would be in the $500 range so there is that... :)

Yes, also if i was to buy a cheaper £200 gpu, i would probably be required to upgrade a lot sooner so that's not really worthwhile. Can someone check if the 1080ti fits into my case alongside my other components or do i need to upgrade my case? Also what would you recommend i upgrade if i'm installing the 1080ti, will it bottleneck any other parts, should i upgrade the cpu or memory to get the most out of it? Thanks

I think you should be OK, especially at 4k. Will you possibly see better performance with a CPU upgrade? Sure. Will it somehow cause a bad experience in your current system? Nope.

I also checked your PSU since the 1080Ti can be power hungry, and it should be fine. https://outervision.com/b/uYthK0

I think you should be OK, especially at 4k. Will you possibly see better performance with a CPU upgrade? Sure. Will it somehow cause a bad experience in your current system? Nope.

I also checked your PSU since the 1080Ti can be power hungry, and it should be fine. https://outervision.com/b/uYthK0

The site you linked recommends a 750 watt evga power supply, even after changing gaming to 8 hours and regular usage to 8 hours, still around the 540-550 mark. Is that safe?

Yes i agree that my 780 after constant usage of 5 years has gotten to the stage of needing to be replaced. Luckily for me i have a brand new evga gtx 1080ti that i have in my closet for over a year, just sitting there. ...

Wait what!? Well for goodness sake! For the love of everything good in the world, swap it out! Run DDU to remove the old driver, install the 1080, get the newest driver and go. Why are we even playing around with the 780? You're killin' me smalls. ;)

The site you linked recommends a 750 watt evga power supply, even after changing gaming to 8 hours and regular usage to 8 hours, still around the 540-550 mark. Is that safe?

That part is basically an add. The part you want to pay attention to is "Recommended PSU Wattage: 524 W." They have to pay the bills somehow :shrug:.

Should i add more cooling or upgrade my cpu? not sure what i should upgrade if i'm to install my 1080ti, where do i check if the card will even fit in my case?

Whatever case you have, go to the MFG website and check the specs, most list a maximum graphics card length. ;)

I have the "Corsair CC-9011023-WW Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Performance Computer Case - Black", the mfg website is very confusing to me.
"

So my integrated graphics are on the z-97a which is my motherboard, i'm just wondering if they will be sufficient to play classic wow on low settings and achieve 30-60fps on low res/settings with integrated graphics. Any ideas? Also any way to use integrated graphics/enable them without physically removing the GPU?

The iGPU is on the cpu...the motherboard just has the connections to the monitor. ;)

Not sure how well it will have wow on low... maybe 30 fps? You'll have to try.

Enable the onboard graphics in the bios (you'll have to look for it...- it may be on auto/enabled already) and plug your monitor into a video port on the mobo.

Back