• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Fan died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badbonji

Ok so I was just playing L4D when my pc froze, and on reboot it wouldn't display any video output. I looked in my case and realise my fan isn't spinning, which must have caused the gpu to overheat. So now my desktop cannot be used...

I guess my only option is to RMA it really, as my GTX295 is only a few months old and was registered with BFGTech.

Would they fix it and send it back? Or a new card?

BobbyBubblehead

depends on if its fried or not im guessing.

I never even got a reply when I enquired about an RMA for my 280 :shrug:

so now I buy whatevers best value for the spend and have had much more luck with faults since :shrug:

I see no reason why you wouldnt be entitled to a replacement...
lets hope soon!
good luck :)

BobbyBubblehead

no modern gaming machines right unless it sounds like your trying to break into orbit :D

I dont like the noise from any fan thats not 120 or 140mm at moderate speeds myself.

funny how all this technology sounds like frankensteins work when its running... were going 3d mode flick the switch! #Laughs#

how will you keep warm now its out of action?

OP
Badbonji

Badbonji

I don't know, my laptop barely kicks out any heat :( and stupid ATi drivers giving me problems expandng through HDMI to my 32" TV in my room : \

BobbyBubblehead

sounds like your havin a computin low:-/

must be a typo but that 295 in your sig seems to have a funny stock speed ;)

(my computers are fine for a change... how to move this 300litre aquarium from this room to the other alone is another issue :-/ )

OP
Badbonji

Badbonji

Oh that was when I benched it about 4 months ago, and at stock speed the fan doesn't get as noisy. Very helpful when watching movies and TV on my PC :)

Zantal

just to see if it's a fan issue, have you tried cooling it down a little and after boot again to see if it works? (try with a vacuum cleaner if you want to cool it down a little during this test) but i bet you already tried :p

OP
Badbonji

Badbonji

Well i waited for the gpu to cool down, turned the pc on and it got to the windows logo before it froze. The display worked the whole time but the fan wasn't spinning, and the PCB was getting quite hot :S

BobbyBubblehead

well sounds like its not fried at least :shrug:

can you see if its anything stupid like the fan connectors popped off.... last time one of my 260fans stopped working it had a cable stuck in it :rolleyes:

sig update :D

my aquariums clean anyhow... main worry now is can you mix baileys with a cappuccino?

guess if its horrable I can always have baileys in the coffee after.

OP
Badbonji

Badbonji

The connector is in at one end, I cant check inside the card because it is two pcb's sandwiched :(

I got my RMA number, will send it Monday. Hopefully my Physics Bursary kicks in soon, was going to upgrade to a HD5870X2 or something : \

Zantal

The connector is in at one end, I cant check inside the card because it is two pcb's sandwiched :(

I got my RMA number, will send it Monday. Hopefully my Physics Bursary kicks in soon, was going to upgrade to a HD5870X2 or something : \

:mad: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT !!!!11 :mad:

you will wait like all others for the gt395 to come out boy!

BobbyBubblehead

#Laughs# its not just you... im looking as well and I carnt find one either :shrug:

somewhere like OCUK will order one in if you click the buy button on pre-order stuff but there could still be a little wait.

you could wait for the nvidia stuff... maybe five or ten years and theyll be cheap enough to sell in the UK?

not the best time for luxury goods here... because there arnt any :(

I would be tempted to order one of these 295`s myself
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-001-NV&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1324

then when the other returns from its round trip you can maybe sli ?

note. last value card I had from them turned out to be a asus gtx280 for £214 when they were around 350-380 :D

Last edited:

Zantal

i laugh at ppl saying, ati got dx11 cards out first so nvidia sucks hard

(who can tell -.-)

but, nobody can buy an HD5870 because

THERE are no HD5870 to be found!!
yes i am also very temptedo to buy one of these

but what if it turns out gt300 will be a beast compared to these?
i canoot live with that burden :-/

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
funny how all this technology sounds like frankensteins work when its running... were going 3d mode flick the switch! #Laughs#

No kidding...

"Bring it up to 695/1195 Mr. Data, we're starting up a 3D app"
"We're at 695/1195, but temperatures are rising fast..."
"What are the fans at?"
"50%"
"Bring 'em up!!"
"80%, but still rising..."
*fan sounds like it's about to fly off the card*
"Bring it up some more Mr. Data"
"We're maxed out... temps are stable... barely"

Story of my HD 4850 there. Thing idles nice and cool without the fan, but temps go all over the place under load.

OP
Badbonji

Badbonji

I would go Quad sli, but the gains are not worth it IMO. The main limiter would be gpu scaling on the 4th core and the amount of memory (896Mb still D:)

Zantal

I would go Quad sli, but the gains are not worth it IMO. The main limiter would be gpu scaling on the 4th core and the amount of memory (896Mb still D:)

add stuttering also

wasn't it 1.7gb? those cards are meant for insane res Oo

No kidding...

"Bring it up to 695/1195 Mr. Data, we're starting up a 3D app"
"We're at 695/1195, but temperatures are rising fast..."
"What are the fans at?"
"50%"
"Bring 'em up!!"
"80%, but still rising..."
*fan sounds like it's about to fly off the card*
"Bring it up some more Mr. Data"
"We're maxed out... temps are stable... barely"

Story of my HD 4850 there. Thing idles nice and cool without the fan, but temps go all over the place under load.

lol, same for me when i had the 7800gtx and the pentium 4

the gpu was going as hot as 100C (yes it still works :p) and the pentium 4 + mobo were making so much heat my room was really hot in winter!

OP
Badbonji

Badbonji

Sli doesn't add the memory, so it is 896Mbx2 per GPU and x2 again for 2 cards... I use 16xAA and AF which means more memory is used. Atm having a hard time finding a box that fits the shape of the GPU (either too wide / short)

Zantal

Sli doesn't add the memory, so it is 896Mbx2 per GPU and x2 again for 2 cards... I use 16xAA and AF which means more memory is used. Atm having a hard time finding a box that fits the shape of the GPU (either too wide / short)

i know it doesn't add memory, i just saw some sold with 1.7gb