• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Folding -- Best PPD/watt? Linux vs Win?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jmtyra

I've been out of the game for awhile, so my apologies if these are 'n00b' questions.

:chair:

> What's the best PPD/watt GPU right now?
> And is there still a Linux vs Windows PPD variance?

Seeing Macaholic and HayesK duke it out in this thread, and it appears that the GTX 980 FTW Ti is the best bet.
That said, how often should a GPU be replaced for something better? Trying to gauge efficiency versus HW replacement lifecycle.

Also, any feedback or suggestions on cost vs value of PSU efficiency would be welcomed.
Is 80+ Gold 'OK' for folding or should I go for 80+ Titanium? Does it depend on cost per kWh?

Thank you! :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
its been a while for me to, but I googled really quick and found this: http://www.overclock.net/t/475163/gpu-projects-ppd-database

Linux vs Windows - Yes, AFAIK.

As far as the PSU efficiency thing... you simply need to do the math for your cost /kWh versus the price difference. Typically its only a couple % difference and it will take years to make up the cost difference. Just have to do the math.

That said, I will let the experts chime in.

Nihilus

Depending on where you live, ppd/$ is more important than ppd/watt. The 980 does the best ppd/watt but I believe the 980ti and 970 are better ppd/$. Gold PSU seems to be the sweetspot for efficiency/$ but if you can find a cheap platinium, all the better. For Nvidia, Linux seems to do better, but not sure by how much

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Yep! It really it depends on the cost difference between the PSU's, your kWh, and how long you plan to run it at a given wattage.

OP
Jmtyra

Jmtyra

Depending on where you live, ppd/$ is more important than ppd/watt.
Are we talking about cost of hardware versus cost of power? I understood ppd/$ is calculated based on ppd/watt? Could you elaborate please? :)

Edit: I think I follow. Is the ppd/$ the one-time investment cost (ppd / video card cost) whereas ppd/watt is the recurring power consumption (ppd / power consumption)?

Last edited:
OP
Jmtyra

Jmtyra

Going back to the OS selection, it looks like the GPU chart is equally (roughly) covered by both Ubuntu and Win 7 x64. I'll have to dig into that a bit more though.
While Ubuntu will have fewer (if any) reboots due to updates and such, it will be more difficult (for me) to perform maintenance/updates/changes/etc versus Windows.

/sigh

Nathan_P

Don't worry about updates to a Linux box if its purely for folding, but if you do want to keep up to date the better distributions give you a box just like windows where you can select what you do/do not want to install

Nihilus

Are we talking about cost of hardware versus cost of power? I understood ppd/$ is calculated based on ppd/watt? Could you elaborate please? :)

Edit: I think I follow. Is the ppd/$ the one-time investment cost (ppd / video card cost) whereas ppd/watt is the recurring power consumption (ppd / power consumption)?

Correct. The ppd/w difference will not be that different between the Nvidia cards. I've been seeing 980ti cards go for under $600 on ebay, probably due to the overbloated Pascal rumors. These have a huge ppd advantage over the 980 cards.

Glad you are still with us Jmtyra!

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
there is a bit more to do in Linux, you might learn a thing or two and that can be interesting but not to big of a deal and we have threads that will hand hold you right along.
one advantage to Linux is the operating system is free.
with the 980 and 980ti, the get in cost can be high but is coming down, there is a 980ti that is going for 539 with a rebate. these are the best choice.
the 970s, with a 1500 clock are at a lower get in cost but the power draw is about the same and the ppd is 3/4 that of a 980.
a gold rated psu will be fine, just be sure it has the connectors you need so you need no adaptors.

OP
Jmtyra

Jmtyra

The ppd/w difference will not be that different between the Nvidia cards.
OH! OK, now that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the ppd per card in relation to the ppd/watt. So really it's just a conversation of how many cards do I want to buy to equal 'X' of total ppd.
That's only with the modern GPUs though, right? Not anything older than Maxwell? The reason I ask is now I'm looking at their chart for PPD/W and it definitely drops off for the previous generation.

Then again, that chart is probably based on the reference wattage of each card, not the actual wattage consumed by each card. (Now I'm giving myself a headache haha) ;)

Glad you are still with us Jmtyra!
Thank you! :) I'm afraid I haven't contributed for awhile, mainly due to life/time/money, but hopefully that will change soon. :thup:

900x900px-LL-7809c421_database_summary.PNG

OP
Jmtyra

Jmtyra

there is a bit more to do in Linux, you might learn a thing or two and that can be interesting but not to big of a deal and we have threads that will hand hold you right along.
Linux is definitely a learning experience! I've learned quite a bit over the years; my favorite distro is vanilla Debian. But I'm lazy and a 3 minute task on Windows takes me 15 minutes on Linux. :rain:

there is a 980ti that is going for 539 with a rebate. these are the best choice.
Nice! Yea that's actually better than what I could find on eBay. Impressive! Hopefully by June it will only get cheaper. :cool: