• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Folding with SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I searched a little but didn't see a specific answer for this. If I plan to put more than one video card in a machine for folding do they need to match and be connected with an sli connector to setup folding on both?

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
no, in fact im pretty sure you cant fold on both cards if you run SLI but I could be wrong.
However if you are running anything other than XP and you dont have a monitor plugged into both cards you will need to use a "VGA dummy plug" (quick google will get what you need) so the card thinks it has a monitor attached.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
SLI? Yes, in fact you can. :D Just make sure you've got the most recent nvidia drivers and you should be good to go.

Do two matched cards have to be in SLI mode or connected with an SLI bridge to Fold? No.

Torin is your man for Dummy Plugs... :beer:

Do they need to be matched? No. However, you need a more recent FAH Core executable to get that to work correctly. Is 1.31 auto-downloading on a new install? I'm not sure.

Anyone?

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
:beer:

thanks for the assist there harlam lol. did folding always support SLI in the past? My brain keeps reassuring me that it didn't always used to work xD

OP
TC

TC

Senior Seti Addict
So the newer folding core works with SLI - but is there an advantage to it? Would it work just as well without the SLI bridge? I don't need it for gaming, so what ever is easiest/best for folding is what I'll do.

Bluefalcon13

im currently running a GTX260 and an 8800GTS 320MB (both folding) with the downloadable client... no issues so far, but I did get an EUE when I first started the second client

sneakysnowman

So the newer folding core works with SLI - but is there an advantage to it? Would it work just as well without the SLI bridge? I don't need it for gaming, so what ever is easiest/best for folding is what I'll do.
It doesn't make a difference really