• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU for for monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catkicker

Santa brought my daughter
Acer Nitro - 34" Curved Monitor UW-QHD 3440x1440 75Hz VA 21:9 1ms
And now I need a graphics card that will feed this beast.
Basic specs are
3770 i7
16 gigs memory

Would GTX1080 Ti be enough?

What games does she play? That would be a good start. ;)

While not quite 4K, it's a pretty high res monitor (between 2560x1440 and 3840x2160. I'd imagine you'll be able to play many titles at 60 FPS+/Ultra, but not all with a 1080Ti.

But clearly, this depends on what games she plays/settings and what your goals are if this is actually enough. :)

Last edited:
Completely agreed with @EarthDog if the games you are wanting to play aren't the latest/greatest and/or if you were not hoping to play at High/Ultra it should be fine. But the CPU is almost 10 years old [this April] and the GPU is almost 5 years old [this March].

Santa brought my daughter
Acer Nitro - 34" Curved Monitor UW-QHD 3440x1440 75Hz VA 21:9 1ms
And now I need a graphics card that will feed this beast.
Basic specs are
3770 i7
16 gigs memory

Would GTX1080 Ti be enough?
I played through Cyberpunk with a 1080Ti and 4K 60Htz monitor and the 2nd PC in my sig(#1 PC). It played smooth and was good.

I went back with the a 34" in sig and a 2060 in that same PC...and it was just so nice...So at least a RTX 2060 is great but hey the 1080 Ti can still perform if that is what you got. I think the bigger difference was the gsync 144Hz 34" monitor. It is immersive. Refresh rate rules.

See what it looks like and go from there.

(Note that PC has some changes since I switched to Ubuntu, just reflecting the CPU I used for reference)

She must have been a really good girl for Santa to bring that.

I ran a bunch of newer games on my 27" monitor using a GTX 970 so I can't imagine the 1080ti having trouble running that monitor.

If you are planning on buying the 1080ti I would shop for a deal on a new card before buying it though. With the high prices of used cards you might get a newer card for about or near the same price. Try the newegg shuffle for a while at least. If you already have the 1080ti then run that while you wait for a deal.

I don’t know whats more insane, what people are asking for used GPU’s or the fact people are buying them at those prices.
Picked up a RTX2060 from the egg for cheaper then used ones.

Last edited:
The RTX 2060 will have DLSS and Ray Tracing though won't it?
It absolutely has those technologies......but it's still a notably slower card. We're talking flagship last-gen vs mid-range next-gen. In order to be as performant or faster, would only be in titles that support DLSS.

Look at the link below. At 4K res, the KO (an overclocked version) is 26% slower than a 1080Ti (base 2060 = 30%). A 2060 Super is 17% slower than a 1080Ti at 4K...

EDIT: If I was the OP, I'd return that 2060 immediately. Fella didn't respond to the questions we asked to help him out and just went out and bought a slower card...........:shrug:

Last edited:
It absolutely has those technologies......but it's still a notably slower card. We're talking flagship last-gen vs mid-range next-gen. In order to be as performant or faster, would only be in titles that support DLSS.

Look at the link below. At 4K res, the KO (an overclocked version) is 26% slower than a 1080Ti (base 2060 = 30%). A 2060 Super is 17% slower than a 1080Ti at 4K...

EDIT: If I was the OP, I'd return that 2060 immediately. Fella didn't respond to the questions we asked to help him out and just went out and bought a slower card...........:shrug:
At 1440 like the OP has.... and really is what these two GPU's should run. The RTX 2060 looks better, if there is Ray tracing....and FPS will not be noticed...At least I couldn't tell. Tho I was using a gysnc.

At 1440 like the OP has.... and really is what these two GPU's should run. The RTX 2060 looks better, if there is Ray tracing....and FPS will not be noticed...At least I couldn't tell. Tho I was using a gysnc.

The OP doens't have 2560x1440. He's got a wide-screen res that sits between 4K and 2560x1440 (3440x1440 - closer to 2560x1440 though!).

He also asked about performance. IQ (Image Quality) wasn't a concern (and I personally feel there's hardly a difference), but def. worth the mention. That said, when you enable RT it gets even slower. Then add DLSS and the IQ goes down a bit while FPS go up.

With what (little) we know from the OP and what he asked, there's no chance I would have bought an RTX 2060. It's literally 25% slower than a 1080Ti and would only 'look better' and catch up in performance in titles that use DLSS (there's a couple dozen, but, clearly not a majority). But what about the rest (an overwhelming majority) of games where it's notably slower? I wouldn't get slower performance for RT/DLSS capability...a 25% difference, even at 1440p is significant. Easily the difference between Ultra and medium...or 60 75 FPS and not in some titles. BUT...it's up to the OP and what he prefers.

I worry that, with some titles, the 6GB of vRAM on the 2060 could be a problem (if not now, a lot sooner than an 11GB 1080Ti).

Im not terribly worried about the CPU at this more GPU-bound res, but a 4c/8t CPU does hold some titles back these days.

Last edited:
Back