• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU heat when "inactive"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Since87

Does anyone know whether newer GPU's like the Ti-4X00's or the Radeon 9700 run hot all the time or only when running 3-D intensive applications?

What about when the screen is blanked?

SemiCycle

I think it should run well within spec when not stressed. The GPU temp could probably go +10 degrees higher easily when running a 3D game. You should have no worries.

EgeWorks

My Ti4400 GPU stays pretty hot the whole time - it will only go up by ~3-5C when under full load - that's under full CPU load as well- so the water temp is raised a bit too. When on a blank screen(power saving) the temp will drop another degee or so but not much.

This is watercooled BTW.

Hope this helps.

edit: are you thinking of a pelt on GPU?

OP
S

Since87

Thanks guys.

I'm working on a pelt based waterchiller.

I'm going to have 2 gallon reservoir. I'll try to keep the reservoir temp at around 10C. (Just above the dewpoint in my computer room.) Ideally, the pelts would consume low power keeping the water cold most of the day while the CPU and GPU are idle. Then when I wanted to play for a few hours, the pelts would have to consume more power keeping the water near 10C.

It sounds like the GPU heat drops some when the PC is idle, but not as much as I was hoping.