• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU, MB..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antronics

..Hey folks. Extremely noob question here. Fitting, coming from an extreme noob. I'm trying to buy a new video card for an old PC I have. How can I find out what type of video card will fit into my MB? The part that you hook a video card into looks like this:

|--------------------||-------|

Really helpful, I know. I could also take a pic of it and put it on photobucket if that would help. You guys have helped me out in the past, so I'm sure you can do it again. Thanks folks!

dgb303

Best if you can get a model number on your Mobo, it should be listed somewhere on the board. I'm willing to be you have a PCI-E 1.0 or something like that, it's hard to tell just from looking at the port.

Bobnova

Here ya go:
GA8GPNXPDuo_pcie-agp.jpg

If the hotlink doesn't work, click here:
http://img.chw.net/sitio/hardware_reviews/h_r_images/20050307/pci-agp-pcie.jpg

Those are both PCIe slots the cards are held over.

OP
A

antronics

..Thanks for the replies. I tried to look for a number on the MB but it looks like I'd have to rip the machine apart to find anything, which I would do but going to try a few other options.

I'll take a pic of the card and slot tomorrow and put it up here. I've said it before, the OCforums is the best community on the net. Thanks a ton guys!

OP
A

antronics

..After rechecking the GPU I have in it now, it is a normal PCI. So does that mean any normal PCI card I get will fit into it and work properly? What I'm looking for is a 64mb or better GPU with "model 2 shader capability." Thanks again folks!

CmdrBond

Registered
Check on ebay for PCI graphics cards - NOT PCI-E.

As far as older boards are concerned, PCI slots are/were white and AGP slots were a single orangey brown slot between the PCI and the I/O panel.

As far as the M/B model is concerned, it is usually between the PCI slots, but not always.

There is a possibility that you may have an AGP slot you can use, but without knowing for sure it is impossible to tell.

OP
A

antronics

..So if I have that normal PCI card plugged into my motherboard, does that mean that normal PCI cards are the only type of cards my motherboard can accept? Thanks folks!

OP
A

antronics

..That is one hell of a program. Ok so an answer begets another question, what kind of nifty stuff can I do for my PC with this program?