• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Upgrade for 1440 Ultrawide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

My 780ti is actually still cutting the mustard right now for most of my games, which include:
  • CS:GO
  • PlayerUnknown's BatlleGround
  • Overwatch
  • Titanfall 2
  • Fallout 4
  • Destiny 2 (once it comes out)
  • Doom
  • Quake Champions
  • GTA V
  • Rocket League

Here's my question. I play a lot of these games on Low because of the competitive nature. I find the lack of detail can make it easier to spot some things in the games. Some games (mainly Rocket League so far) also crash if I try to turn the detail up, but run fine on Low settings. But, if I wanted to go Ultra detail, for these games, I'm torn. Fury? Rx 580? GTX 1070? 1080? 1080ti? Vega?

I think the 580 or 1070 would likely be the best bang for buck, but how much horsepower does the 1440 ultrawide really need to get 60Hz+ steady on the aforementioned titles at Ultra? Is the 1080ti overkill?

It seems hard to justify almost $800 on the graphics card when all of my "core" components cost me right in the ballpark of $1,100, but I also know I was getting myself into the next level of GPU horsepower when I bought this panel. What would you do in my situation? It seems to me if there is ANY bottleneck in my system at this point it's the GPU, but it's difficult to decide exactly how much GPU horsepower I need for my purposes. That's where all y'all come in.

I would need a new PSU for 2 Classified 780tis. I don't have 4 8-pins now. Thanks for the input!

Of course not. I know better! :thup: I got this PSU with the idea of running the best single card available at any given time, but the dual-card options are limited.

I run standard QHD 1440p on my 1070 overclocked and it runs like a charm. I can run all games on all max settings, 1440p and keep a steady 75 FPS (cap of my monitor). Even then, I am only at like 65% GPU usage most of the time.

I think the 3GB ram is going to be extremely limiting for 3440 x 1440 resolution. Even if you had quad SLI, it doesent change the fact that you just dont have enough RAM at 3 GB to run that large of a resolution. Honestly, even for 1080p, 3 GB is starting to cut it close if you want to run high settings. Personally, I'd get the 1070 which will allow you to run those resolutions on high settings and it will have plenty of RAM for any resolution. Further, SLI doesent work well in all games, it doesent work at all in some games, and it can be unstable in others.

Did you buy the ultrawide already? Hopefully your games have support for it... nkt all do amd will stretch the image...not something i would go for...

But id go no lowwr than a 1070...1080 preferred.

Personal experiance:

LG 29' Ultrawide 2560x1080
Battlefield 1
DOOM
Witcher 3
Grim Dawn
Warhammer Total War
Dark Souls 3

Single RX480 @1440MHz was enough to support all games at High to Ultra High settings depending on games. DOOM with Vulkin was able to run at 110+ FPS, but Witcher 3 struggled to maintain 35-60 FPS.

Dual RX480s @1350MHz had similar experience to the single card solution but I had a lot of game stutter in games like Dark Souls 3, and Witcher 3. The FPS matched a 1070/1080 but was not worth the headache of screen tear and tinker

Single GTX1080 @2189MHz, easily handles all games at 60-75FPS+ however, because I have a AMD Freesync monitor, I do get V-Sync screen tear even with "Adaptive Sync" enabled in NVIDIA drivers.

So for a 1440p You will probably want to look at the 1080 if you want to sustain the highest FPS at all time and not worry about tinkering with settings. Set and forget option. If you don't mind tuning your settings with each game you play, I'd say go with the 1070 to save some money. But I would invest in a monitor that is compatible with G-Sync. V-Sync tear is not a pretty thing to watch and experience :(

But I would invest in a monitor that is compatible with G-Sync. V-Sync tear is not a pretty thing to watch and experience :(

I think it's a waste of money. I dont have it on my monitor, I just set nvidia to adaptive v sync and I dont really ever notice anything. Occasional I'll notice a tear, but it's only on occasion and I dont even notice most of the time. It's really not worth the extra cash especially when G Sync has its own problems. Enabling G Sync can cause other problems to occur on occasion like stuttering.

I can notice input lag when using vsync or adaptive. Gsync/freesync stops that.

Last edited:
Yeah there is some lag between normal monitors and G-Sync/FreeSync monitors. It may be sometime before we get DP 2.0 (or 1.4? Can't remember) that enables adaptive sync within its protocol so we will not need these dedicated monitors anymore.

But for now, it is very much worth the few extra bucks to buy a monitor that supports your current cards Adaptive Sync abilities.

Yeah there is some lag between normal monitors and G-Sync/FreeSync monitors. It may be sometime before we get DP 2.0 (or 1.4? Can't remember) that enables adaptive sync within its protocol so we will not need these dedicated monitors anymore.

But for now, it is very much worth the few extra bucks to buy a monitor that supports your current cards Adaptive Sync abilities.

The only people that think G-sync is not worth it are the ones that don't have it.

What does it do besides lock the fps to the refresh rate? Not disagreeing, just curious. If I lock my card at 60 fps with a 1080p display it stays there.

The adaptive sync technologies do not lock FPS to a specific refresh rate. The premise of the technology is to allow frames to be presented to the user in an asynchronous fashion. Meaning, if a part of the frame was presented at time n, while another part of the frame was presented at time n+1, you would not notice the difference in the split frames at different times (n and n+1). This means the game looks consistent at all times even if a part of the frame is a clock cycle behind.

Back