• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gpu Upgrade (NEED HELP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c00l3st

Good day everyone ,

im looking into spending 800$ (USD) into upgrading my gpu (current r9 390x from sapphire)
my first option is asus strix 1080 OC.
-forgot- i play ffxiv&dota 2 mainly.
would appreciate suggestions and inputs, u can find my full specs on sig.

Last edited:

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Where can you buy from, what are you using the system for, and what's your budget in your local currency?

OP
C

c00l3st

shops from the middle east offer the same prices as amazon uk (closest one to me that ships door to door) , 4k gaming mainly final fantasy 14 and dota 2 , in local currency thats 3100-3200 AED or 800 USD.

thank you.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Your monitor is 4K UHD resolution...correct?

Are you looking to game in 4K? The GTX 1080 will hold it's ground pretty good for 4K gaming...you won't be able to game at all max/ultra settings, but it will still look sweet.

Any of the NVIDIA OEMs will put up a decent card. My personal preference is EVGA (for their customer service and warranty)...however the Asus card that you have is a good one.

Have you considered one of the hybrid 1080 cards? (EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Gaming...$729.99, MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk...$719.99, Gigabyte GTX 1080 XTREME...$769.99). If you have space in your case for the 120 mm radiator, the hybrid cards work great. They keep the GPU cool, and run quieter than the air-cooled version...the next best thing to a custom water-cool loop.

You are in the UAE, so I am not sure how much the various cards will cost for you.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
shops from the middle east offer the same prices as amazon uk (closest one to me that ships door to door) , 4k gaming mainly final fantasy 14 and dota 2 , in local currency thats 3100-3200 AED or 800 USD.

thank you.

Okay.... so what shops are these? We don't know UAE pricing or shops, this is largely a North American site.

OP
C

c00l3st

@jr yes its a uhd monitor 60hz , and regarding the hybrid cards you mentioned ive been googling and i always end up with posts/pages that say trix OC yields the highest clocks/performance. as per pricing in uae shops/stores price would be atleast +20$-50$ and my budget is at 800-900$

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
All cards will overclock to around the same value. I wouldn't go by that, honestly. Just grab a Strix/FTW/Gaming G1 and you will be set. They are all quiet, all overclock well to around the same clocks.

OP
C

c00l3st

hi ed !! nice to see you again mate ! thanks ! ordered strix 1080 (was highly looking at the gigabyte xtreme 8 pack). will arrive tomorrow. thanks !