• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU3 is going through testing now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to see a new "client" specifically for Linux... just a new core based on new code. Which yes, should help the ATI side of the fence... but I'm not sure that will yield any progress in getting ATI running on Linux. But maybe it will... you Linux guys are smart, someone will spend a lot of time trying, I'm sure. :D

My first concern is breaking compatibility with the Linux current CUDA wrapper...

Sydney

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to see a new "client" specifically for Linux... just a new core based on new code. Which yes, should help the ATI side of the fence... but I'm not sure that will yield any progress in getting ATI running on Linux. But maybe it will... you Linux guys are smart, someone will spend a lot of time trying, I'm sure. :D

My first concern is breaking compatibility with the Linux current CUDA wrapper...
It won't be using CUDA and CAL for NVIDIA and ATi respectively, it will be using OpenCL for both ATi and NVIDIA, so one wine wrapper would make both sides work.

ChasR

I wouldn't hold my breath. To us weeks means less than months, generally less than two months, else the unit month is used. I'm not sure it has that connotation to a scientist, when applied to an indeterminate period of time. No matter how long it takes the unit week can be applied. It's a pretty safe bet though that Dr. Pande wouldn't say weeks if it were going to take more than 52. ;)

Sydney

I wouldn't hold my breath. To us weeks means less than months, generally less than two months, else the unit month is used. I'm not sure it has that connotation to a scientist, when applied to an indeterminate period of time. No matter how long it takes the unit week can be applied. It's a pretty safe bet though that Dr. Pande wouldn't say weeks if it were going to take more than 52. ;)
GPU3 would be the perfect xmas gift from Pande to all folders :D

ChasR

The OpenMM road map calls for release 1.0 in January. Release of GPU3 will still be weeks/months after that.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
It won't be using CUDA and CAL for NVIDIA and ATi respectively, it will be using OpenCL for both ATi and NVIDIA, so one wine wrapper would make both sides work.

Touche... shows how much I've really been absorbing the news. I remember reading about OpenCL now that you've said OpenCL... but I hadn't looked into much further until just a few minutes ago.

Well, we shall see... but in this case the current implementation allowing Linux users to run GPU2 is defunct. So something will have to be done for Linux... and it would be outstanding if Stanford developed it themselves and officially supported it with a native GPU3 Linux Client. :)

klear

Are you guys holding off purchasing nvidia cards till this comes out? Is it going to level the playing field?

ChasR

You just might be holding off a long time. GPU3 is based on OpenMM, which is based on existing code, not OpenCL. Eventually the GPU3 Client and OpenMM will migrate to OpenCL. Then ATI cards will see a boost. From the Pande BLog:

3) GPU3: Next generation GPU core, based on OpenMM. We have been making major advances in GPU simulation, with the key advances going into OpenMM, our open library for molecular simulation. OpenMM started with our GPU2 code as a base, but has really flourished since then. Thus, we have rewritten our GPU core to use OpenMM and we have been testing that recently as well. It is designed to be completely backward compatible, but should make simulations much more stable on the GPU as well as add new science features. A key next step for OpenMM is OpenCL support, which should allow much more efficient use of new ATI GPUs and beyond.

Zerix01

I really want to see Linux support this time around. If they are putting a lot of effort in to OpenMM then I don't see why they wouldn't release a Linux client when there is an OpenMM Linux and Mac download. My guess would be they wrote a large portion of the code for them, so why hold out on us? I'm getting irritated that Nvidia broke the Cuda wrapper and I'm stuck on the 180 drivers and Kubuntu 9.04.

Haven't been on here in a while..... what the Matrix? -----> :comp:

Outback_Jon

Good thing we're not Folding for a paleontologist. Those geological "weeks" could really mean a long wait.
ROTFLMAO.gif

wingless

My 800 shader 4870 is anxiously awaiting OpenCL support. Probably won't see it until mid 2010, but this news gives us hope. ATI GPUs have a helluva lot of untapped potential don't they ;).