• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grab your Maxwell based 900's because they could be off the shelves soon!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-pascal-gtx-1060-launching-fall/

http://techreport.com/news/29999/rumor-nvidia-kills-some-maxwell-chips-ahead-of-june-pascal-launch

According to these two articles nVidia might be killing off Maxwell BEFORE Pascal even launches. The GTX 970, 980, an 980ti could see a complete disappearance of new cards before Pascal even makes its debut this summer at the end of Q2/beginning of Q3. I personally think this might just be a rumor somebody started but you never know...

If nVidia does indeed kill off Maxwell and leave shelves empty for a period of time so that Pascal is the only GPU line available, then I think that says a lot about how desperate they are to get people to buy these new cards. As someone who was hoping to buy a GTX 970 before the new release and let Pascal run a few month course before I looked into upgrading, this kinda pisses me off. Though one could hope nVidia wouldn't be stupid enough to force everyone to buy Pascal immediately. And if they do indeed kill off Maxwell BEFORE Pascal is even released, why do they feel the need to make Pascal the ONLY option? Something definitely doesn't smell right here.

Thoughts?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
They are stopping production, yep. I am sure there are thousands and thousands still available. The shelves will not be empty even when pascal releases. Smells fine to me. ;)

Do you really think a for profit company will leave the shelves clear?

NVIDIA is in no way, shape, or form, desperate.

mackerel

The last thing they want is a ton of especially higher end old generation GPUs on sale when the new ones are released. Assuming performance of the new ones are where they should be, who's going to buy old ones? Only bargain hunters. It is normal to slow or stop production of older hardware before new is released. There may be reasons to have a long overlap, but I don't see this as particularly unusual. There may be specific niches or existing contracts they have to keep up, but in general if you have something better, there are few reasons to keep making the old one. The only danger here is if they get the timing wrong, shutting off the old supply before the new can get out at a sufficient rate. I would expect low quantities of older generations to hang around retailers for a while even if they stop making them now.

OP
Vishera

Vishera

The last thing they want is a ton of especially higher end old generation GPUs on sale when the new ones are released. Assuming performance of the new ones are where they should be, who's going to buy old ones? Only bargain hunters. It is normal to slow or stop production of older hardware before new is released. There may be reasons to have a long overlap, but I don't see this as particularly unusual. There may be specific niches or existing contracts they have to keep up, but in general if you have something better, there are few reasons to keep making the old one. The only danger here is if they get the timing wrong, shutting off the old supply before the new can get out at a sufficient rate. I would expect low quantities of older generations to hang around retailers for a while even if they stop making them now.

I'm jumping from a 750 (which I believe is Kepler, correct me if I'm wrong) to the newer cards. I, and I'm sure others as well, don't want to HAVE to buy Pascal right away. If it doesn't offer enough of a performance boost to be worth however much more than Maxwell it will cost, if it does cost more, then I surely don't want to have to spend that extra money when I could've saved it by buying a 970.

Now if prices are equal and there would be no difference between Pascal and Maxwell costs, then fine, I digress. But if it only ends up being a 5% improvement over Maxwell, but $200 more than the respective equivalents, I don't see how that's WORTH the price. And then us less fortunate consumers who never had the chance to upgrade to Maxwell from Kepler are stuck waiting for those Pascal prices to go down.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Stop worrying. As we said, there will be cards on the shelf when pascal releases.
Now if prices are equal and there would be no difference between Pascal and Maxwell costs, then fine, I digress. But if it only ends up being a 5% improvement over Maxwell, but $200 more than the respective equivalents, I don't see how that's WORTH the price.
Ehhhh, that has never happened. Have you been around for previous releases of new GPUs? What you are typically going to see is a clock per clock performance increase and the pricing will be similar or slightly higher depending on a few factors.

What tends to happen in GPU releases is the upper midrange comes out and it's performance is right around or a bit slower than the current flagship card. It typically consumes less power and of course adds more features.

You are worrying over inaccurate assumptions/guesses, but really have no reason to.

You are saying, 'zOMG, what if a new card comes out and only beats (beats what?!! What the heck are you comparing it too??) it by 5% and is $200 more?!?!!??!?!!?!!! That just doesn't happen man. I mean WHAT is beating by a mere 5% and costs $200 more. Slow down, think a bit. :)

OP
Vishera

Vishera

Technically speaking I was around for the days when a 660ti was still the hot thing, but I wasn't building my own systems or getting into it as heavily as I am now. Ah, the glory days. I was but a child then. Making his way into the wonders of computational technology. :p

As for the performance boosts, I meant Pascal as a whole over Maxwell. The "Pascal replacement" of the 970 versus the actual 970, the "Pascal replacement" of the 980 vs the actual 980, etc. I was admittedly unaware things tend to go a bit differently....:chair:

bob4933

If only there was another company that made graphics cards to fill nvidias gaps in both price and performance....

Alaric

If only there was another company that made graphics cards to fill nvidias gaps in both price and performance....

That would be nice , but they would have to have functional drivers , and that seems to be a major hurdle for some companies.

- - - Updated - - -

They are stopping production, yep. I am sure there are thousands and thousands still available. The shelves will not be empty even when pascal releases. Smells fine to me. ;)

But...but...but...I'm looking for a card in the next few weeks. I don't think we should discount my luck screwing the pooch for everybody , ED! :rofl:

SliceT

Probably nvidia will flood the old stock to china in order to clear the market for these new ones. Also depend on how good are their production yields I guess. If they don't have much of the new cards to sell, no point of big price drops.

magellan

What's your evaluation of AMD these days (both GPU and CPU divisions)?

Do you think AMD might drop the price on their new dual GPU part in response to Nvidia's imminent release of their new flagship parts?