• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphic card for S 3000AH server board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sumitkaushik

Registered
Hey can anyone tell me which graphic card is best for S3000 AH server board.
I brought one yesterday of NVIDIA 9 series but it is not fit in PCI slot. Someone told me that i have to buy 8x graphic card. Need Help.

ratbuddy

That board (I think) has a PCIe x8 slot. If there's nothing physically interfering with the extra bits of the graphics card's pins, you can simply file down the plastic bit at the end of the slot. The card will work, although at reduced bandwidth compared to x16, but I bet you won't be able to tell any difference.

This won't work if Intel has locked out that slot from being able to run video cards. Best way to find out is try it and see. Be careful not to damage the slot, only remove the plastic at the end that prevents the card from seating.

I've marked a little red line where the plastic needs to be removed.

edit: Depending how big/heavy the card is, you might want to support it somehow so it doesn't crack the slot.

edit 2: Added a pic of what it should look like when you're done.

edit 3: Uhmm.. Do this at your own risk, and don't do it if you aren't comfortable with it. I'd use a dremel with a cutting wheel if you have a steady hand, or a regular file if not :beer:

Attachments

• s3000ah.jpg
    s3000ah.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 513
  • openendedslot.jpg
    openendedslot.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
OP
S

sumitkaushik

Registered
s3000 AH Server Board

Thanks Ratbuddy for the help, i also think this motherboard use 8x graphic card. Let me reached home i will surely add the pic after removing the plastic.Thanks again.

ratbuddy

Thanks Ratbuddy for the help, i also think this motherboard use 8x graphic card. Let me reached home i will surely add the pic after removing the plastic.Thanks again.

Awesome, yeah, that'd be great if you could take before/after pics and a CPU-Z mainboard screen to make sure it's at x8 too.