• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics card displaying green discolored screen - First build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sigma177

tldr:
New build. Everything looks fine with motherboard HDMI integrated graphics, but graphics card HDMI makes everything green and distorted. Not a monitor or cable problem. Pictures at bottom.

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($277.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - FUMA Rev.B 79 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($237.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($584.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone - Redline RL06WS-GP ATX Mid Tower Case ($116.82 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
BIOS: 0224 x64

More details:
I just finished building a new PC, and I'm having a problem I can't figure out. First I booted up with everything installed but the graphics card. I connected my monitor to the HDMI port on the motherboard using Intel's built in graphics. The system turned on, went to the BIOS, and everything looked fine.

Then I installed the graphics card, connected the monitor to the graphics card's HDMI port, and turned it on. First, the system powered itself on and off three times in a row in about thirty seconds before it made it to the BIOS. Is that normal when installing a new graphics card? Does it have to restart rapidly to recognize new hardware or something?

Then when I finally made it to the BIOS everything on the screen is tinted green. Text is white/purple and looks doubled and out of focus. I've switched back and forth between the motherboard HDMI and graphics card HDMI ports multiple times and it's always the same.

Does anyone know why this is happening? It's such a specific problem with just the color change but everything else working fine. If the graphics card were just defective wouldn't there be more wrong with it than just this?

Here's the normal looking BIOS when connected to motherboard HDMI / integrated graphics:
And here's the green BIOS when connected to the HDMI port on the RTX 2070:

Try a displayport to HDMI on the monitor, maybe those ports are bad. That said, a bad RTX card here and there has been happening so perhaps its time to simply RMA.

Defective is not giving the proper image. Green is not the proper color there. Something is clearly wrong with both ports assuming you swapped them around on the GPU.

This is not specific to model or even manufacturer. I had an Evga RX 480 do something very similar right out of the box.

1. Uninstall and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver.
2. Try the card in another computer if you have access to one.

If neither of these help, RMA the card. I suspect the card is bad but try the two steps above to make sure you don't waste shipping costs on a dud RMA.

Back