• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics card issue? PLEASE ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

srock29

Hello so im new to the building game but am loving the idea of getting it done! Although frustrated with my current problem so i have a i5 6600k 16gb of crucial ram Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard a Pny GTX 980 Ti and a 750 watt rm corsair power supply. My question for someones help on is when i stalled every i went to boot took a few times for me to get everything running correctly although i noticed the machine would begin to power up and then flicker off and power back on now this would do this 9/10 times so i thought nothing of it went to bed woke up in the morning went to power on my machine to have it start to boot up turn off to not turn back on After being extremely frustrated i decided to pull the graphics card out as there was nasty smell and i did notice a burn mark when i pulled the graphics card out after taking it out the machine would power on without flickering with the build in motherboard graphics i also purchased a gtx 950 to test if a card would work in the machine and i was able to get that to work i know the graphics card said it only needs a 600 watt power supply but does this sound like i need a larger power supply im also running a liquid cooler so there a total of 5 fans that includes the case fans. any help would be great thanks in advance!

here is my full build in pcpartpicker

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
You have plenty of PSU.

Sounds like the GPU to me, since you swapped the other one in and it worked.

OP
S

srock29

well it was an older graphics card so it also probably demands less psu power correct its a 950 compared to the 980ti i have replacement coming tomorrow but dont wanna throw that in there with that psu if its gonna wreck my whole board

- - - Updated - - -

and what would be the cause of the flickering i mean its not doing that without the card or having the 950 in?

- - - Updated - - -

and what would be the cause of the flickering i mean its not doing that without the card or having the 950 in? that to me would seem like a shortage of power supply correct?

ATMINSIDE

Sounds like a faulty GPU to me.

You don't have anywhere near enough power draw for the PSU to be short on power.

OP
S

srock29

so your saying the replacement should do the trick if it was the same price which these are would u take the corsair rm750 or the evga 850 g2?

ATMINSIDE

so your saying the replacement should do the trick if it was the same price which these are would u take the corsair rm750 or the evga 850 g2?

Yes, I think a replacement GPU should fix it.

I'd take any of the G2 over any of the RM.
That said, I would gladly run your system on a 550W G2.

OP
S

srock29

thanks for the advice one last question when i setup my build there was a 8 pin to the psu and going to 2 of the 2 /6 pin does it matter which goes to the 6 and which goes to the 8 since its the same cable?

OP
S

srock29

i cant take one at the moment but it is towards the end of the card opposite of pci slot on the motherboard

OP
S

srock29

i dont think so as i plugged a 950 into the same slot and it ended up running